We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dreamplace Gran Castillo, Lanzarote

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Dreamplace Gran Castillo, Lanzarote

WOW, just returned from a fantastic week away at Dreamplace Gran Castillo, Playa Blanca, Lanzarote. Loved it all. Fab location, recommend a 30 mins meandering walk along to nearby harbour. Great rooms, pools, food and service. We had room on floor level with flower covered terrace, looking out onto pool area and seaviews. It was my birthday whilst there and a bottle of complimentary champayne was left in our room as a surprise. Would go back again! Take no notice of any moaning minnies who whinge about having to wait a few mins for a drink or having kids about; both my hubby and I would say go, enjoy and relax, be pampered and unwind! We did !

Mentioned in this post
Arrecife Gran Hotel & SPA
2,202 Reviews
Lanzarote, Spain
Playa Blanca
Playa Blanca
Lanzarote, Spain
Villas de la Marina
Villas de la Marina
#1 of 37 hotels in Playa Blanca
H10 Timanfaya Palace
H10 Timanfaya Palace
#2 of 37 hotels in Playa Blanca
Iberostar Lanzarote Park
Iberostar Lanzarote Park
#3 of 37 hotels in Playa Blanca
Chippenham, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dreamplace Gran Castillo, Lanzarote

We are going to the Gran Castillo in September for a week. It will be our Wedding Anniversary while we are away. The holiday is a surprise for my husband, as we haven't had a holiday abroad for 6 years, so thought it was about time. We are staying all inclusive and thought we would have our 1 inclusive meal in the resturant on site on the evening of our Anniversary. Did you eat in the Resturant?. I have read some pretty awful posts about this hotel, but I chose it for the location, as we are travelling with our disabled Son and didn't want a full on resort (those days are gone now!). Please could you tell me what you thought of your stay and the food. Thank you. Michele

Mentioned in this post
2,202 Reviews
Lanzarote, Spain
UK
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dreamplace Gran Castillo, Lanzarote

is it worth upgrading from half board to all inclusive?

Can you book it in the hotel when you get there?

Chippenham, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dreamplace Gran Castillo, Lanzarote

I have booked all inclusive as I got a very good deal through the holiday company I am using. The thing that I liked was that you also get the use of all the facilities in the sister hotel next door (use of pools, food and drinks). You only get this though if you book and stay at the Gran Castillo not the other way round although in the sister hotel the guests can use the pools in the Gran Castillo only. You also get 1 inclusive meal in the restaurant as part of the all inclusive deal.

We decided to go all inclusive as the location of this hotel is quite remote, so we are told and even though there are restuarants close to the Gran Castillo, we felt that we could stay at the hotel and be well catered for, without it costing any more money for food and drinks. This is our first time all inclusive.

I think it may be an idea to email the hotel and upgrade that way if you haven't gone through an agent or holiday company. They are very nice at the hotel I have emailed them a couple of times now.

Mentioned in this post
2,202 Reviews
Lanzarote, Spain
UK
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dreamplace Gran Castillo, Lanzarote

Thank you for the advice- o had not realised you can also use the hotel next door too - that might make it worthwhwile - which one was it?

Chippenham, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Dreamplace Gran Castillo, Lanzarote

Hi Suesacc

The hotel next door is the Dream Castillo Papagayo, this is the sister hotel to the Dream Gran Castillo. If you are all inclusive at the Gran Castillo you can use your all inclusive benefits at the Castillo Papagayo, but not the other way round. As I have said the guests at the Castillo Papagayo can use the pools at the Gran Castillo, but that is all, their all inclusive does not cover food and drinks or use of the spa, these are charged at extra cost.

There are many posts here about the all inclusive benefits, that was one of the reasons why I chose to go AI with the Gran Castillo and not the Castillo Papagayo, more to choose from.

Edited: 28 March 2011, 00:04
Mentioned in this post
Papagayo
Papagayo
97 Reviews
Lanzarote, Spain
2,202 Reviews
Lanzarote, Spain
London, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dreamplace Gran Castillo, Lanzarote

Re the Dream Castillo we stayed there at the end of last year, so doubt much has changed. The infrastructure was without doubt 5 star, but that’s all that was. Service was non existent at anytime, daytime only one bar was open and then for most of the time only one barman was serving. Even in the evening when two bars were open the service was appallingly slow, so be prepared to queue and queue if you want a drink.

We found the food unappetising and tepid and whilst we were there there was no entertainment worth watching. Obviously the above was intentional to dissuade people from dining and staying in the hotel at night, it certainly worked for us.

What we found particularly annoying was queuing for ages to get a drink when we used the pool, as the barman also made coffees he would keep disappearing into the kitchen to make them taking an inordinately long time. I say queue, but in reality it was more like a rugby scrum and it helps if you have at least enough Spanish to get by otherwise the Spanish guests will push in.

Unfortunately it’s quite a walk to restaurants and entertainment so you will need to use taxis. We usually stay at the Gran Melia Salinas in Costa Teguise, but wanted to try Plays Blanca for a change and were curious about the All inclusive so thought we would give it a try, it was a huge mistake. In our minds all we had done was pay in advance for our food and drinks rather than pay at the end. Not so, they made it as hard as possible for us to get the drinks we had already paid for and they made the food unappealing so we would not eat it. The appalling entertainment ensures you have no desire to stay in the hotel of an evening; consequently you are not drinking there. Simples.

We will return to Playa Blanca but only on a B&B basis at a real 5 star hotel and as for all inclusive never again.

Mentioned in this post
2,202 Reviews
Lanzarote, Spain
Costa Teguise
Costa Teguise
Lanzarote, Spain
Playa Blanca
Playa Blanca
Lanzarote, Spain
Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dreamplace Gran Castillo, Lanzarote

Hi Chelie11

Both my husband and I really liked the food

There is lots of selection and show cooking area every meal

Drinks are serviced to your during lunch and dinner

You are given a set table for all your stay for evening meal, but sit anywhere during breakfast and lunch

Our Al La Carte meal was really lovely, booked ours for my birthday evening

This is in a seperate restaurant to where other meals are taken.

Their is however a fair few steps up to some areas/rooms, just to preempt any potential difficulties getting around. We had a lovely ground floor level room and their are lifts too

Yes, I agree the staff are lovely there, so good to hear you are emailing them too about your holiday. I have no doubts they will assist you

My husband and I would have no problem in going back to stay there

The evening entertainment was not really up to much to be honest, but we aimed to have evening meal, (we were alocated the 6.30-8pm dinner time, there is a later one aswell, so request early one if you would prefer it !,) then chill out over a few drinks, which is what we did most evenings, there are areas round lobby and pools and sports bar to sit down and relax.

I am sure you will have a FAB time

Heather

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dreamplace Gran Castillo, Lanzarote

Not sure if you can upgrade when you get to hotel to All Inclusive

But we found AI very good, all drink, snack, meals

Never had to worry about taking money our with us round hotel

So worth uprading, (i suppose it depends on how much to upgrade each person)

Heather

London, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dreamplace Gran Castillo, Lanzarote

I find it amazing anyone would compliment the food at this hotel. When we were there we complained about the awful food to David the hotel manager. He was quite honest with us and apologetically admitted they were serving inferior food to cut costs after going A/I. I just wonder what people are used to eating at home, when even the Hotel Manger knows they serve the cheapest possible. To try and placate us he said we could eat in the Al La Carte instead of the main dining room, something we did twice but as the menu was very limited we couldn’t face a third meal there. House wine and beer were available in the dinning room, but the wine wasn’t particularly good and you couldn’t even pay for a decent bottle so the real choice is beer or water, unless you like second rate plonk and heartburn.

An important part of any holiday should be mealtimes, unless of course you are the type of person who just takes on fuel. That part of the holiday experience was totally missing and we would have eaten much better at home than we did at the hotel. Of an evening there is absolutely zero to entertain you apart from people watching. Entertainment consists of sitting at a table drinking, a table I might add devoid of waiter service, so the highlight of the evening is queuing for a drink. If that’s anyone’s idea of luxury, then they have very low expectations.

The only viable alternative we found was to bite the bullet, call a taxi and go to a decent restaurant then on to a bar where there was some atmosphere and service. The downside was we paid double for food and drink which made the holiday far from inexpensive, but not the total write off it would have been otherwise.

As I said previously the infrastructure of the hotel is Ok and if we had booked it on a room only basis for a touring holiday it would have been acceptable as a base, assuming we weren’t fussed about trying to get a drink there, but otherwise forget it,it has 2 star food and non existent service, if anyone thinks this is a luxury hotel then I respectfully suggest the try a Melia hotel, there are several in Lanzarote.

Mentioned in this post
Lanzarote
Lanzarote
Canary Islands, Spain
Manchester, England
Level Contributor
105 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dreamplace Gran Castillo, Lanzarote

To anyone who has booked this hotel, I am sure you will have a fantastic time just like I and many others have who will return. The food is fine and perfectly acceptable to most people. If you relax and want to be entertained you will be. The fact the hotel is rated 5th out of 40 odd hotels in Playa Blanca based on this site's reviews speaks for itself. The hotel doesn't market itself as a luxury hotel to my knowledge. It is in the 5 star category based on the services it DOES offer and personally if I was hellbent on 5 star LUXURY I would be prepared to pay a price that reflected that.

Mentioned in this post
Playa Blanca
Playa Blanca
Lanzarote, Spain