We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report - part 2 - what we ate!

Which Playa Blanca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
377 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report - part 2 - what we ate!

TIPICO CANARIO - harbour front just before you turn the corner to walk along to Marina next to Jumbo chinese. This was recommended by the bloke who looks after our villa and lives there. He says they eat there all the time. We, however, weren't that struck. It is very busy, and the portions are large (although my prawn and fish skewer wasn't) but it just wasn't very good. I had a starter of bacon wrapped figs which was like a tapas but they deep fried it!!! not nice at all. Husband had prawns and mushrooms in a garlic sauce which they serve in a ramekin type dish (ajillo) and that was nice. Then he had a huge leg of lamb with chips which was not bad and I had the prawn and fish skewer which was small and uninspiring. Mine was served with a jacket potato with garlic sauce which also didn't taste good. I don't know - maybe we just went on a bad night. We had a bottle of wine and it came to about 50 euros. We did return one lunchtime for a beer and a tapas as it has nice views and is in a nice position and that was nice. 5 out of 10.

L'Artista - Just before you get to Typico Canarias up a little alley. An Italian restaurant where the service was a bit loud, very funny, and welcoming. The waiter is Italian and he likes a joke with the customers. We had a meat antipasto to share and half a garlic bread. Then we both had special pastas, mine was with gorgonzola with walnuts and it was nice but not as yummy as husbands which was prawns and mushrooms in a buttery but light concoction rather than cream - a bit like a spaghetti vongole but with different ingredients. The house wine was not bad - although generally we plumped for Il Griffo which was about 17 euros a bottle but more up our street than the slightly cheaper Vina Sol. 8 out of 10

El Mano - The Marina. We chose this because it was recommended quite a few times in the visitors book at the villa and it was nice and busy on a quiet night at the Marina. It was a bit of a disaster to be honest. My husband had a nice starter of prawns with courgettes and aubergines. I didn't have a starter as I had spoilt my pasta the night before by eating too much first - but then I couldn't eat my main course at all - so I went home a bit hungry. I fancied a steak so I ordered one of their specialities which had some sort of cheese sauce but I couldn't even cut it with a steak knife. I pointed this out to the waiter and I wasn't charged for it but it spoiled the meal. 3 out of 10. Hey it gets better!!!!!! no more bad ones!

Tipico Espanol. Past the taxi rank - heading towards the church but on left hand side of road. This was recommended by the owner of a bar we frequented, an ex pat. It was really nice. Lovely service, lovely grub and a good price. The food wasn't mind blowingly different but there again neither was it pretentious. Just good honest Spanish food. Prawns ajillo again - excellent. I had a slow cooked lamb shank. Tender and delicious and husband had a very nice fillet steak on a skewer. Only 12.90 euros and mine was 8.90 I think. The waiters are very friendly and if you get a table onto the road it isn't too noisy and good for people watching. They give a decent portion of free liqueur afterwards as well. 8 out of 10.

Atlantica - Portuguese restaurant - just up from Espanol - you see a sign for glamour girls and an english pub and it is up some stairs but with a balcony over the road. It is not hard to find once you know it is just over from the church and inside another building - and do not be scared by the strange entrance - the whole night will be a great experience. The young Portuguese owners are charming and talkative. They put everyone at ease and you end up chatting with other diners. They bring olives and bread to nibble. I had piri piri chicken as it is one of my favourite dishes. It wasn't one of the best I have had but it was nice. My husband had the black pork that the restaurant is known for and he declared it delicious. They brought us free cake and free liqueurs and I think the bill was much the same as all the others (between 50 and 60 euros - we order decent wine but not many courses) 8 out of 10 for food 10 out of 10 for ambience.

Romantica - just before you get to the big Spar past the taxi rank going away from church. I can see why this is rated number one on TA. It is a proper restaurant with tablecloths and everyfink. Very nice decor and actually very nice food. I would rate it as the best food we had on the holiday. It was more chefy. You know, a bit more adventurous and playful with flavours - more like you would get in an up market place at home. I had a nice starter of mixed leaves and alfalfa sprouty things with a quails egg and some crispy bacon and caramelised onions. More leaves than protein but good. Husband had a lovely crispy prawn and scallop starter. Very small and expensive but delicious. You don't mind paying 10+ euros if it is good. Then I had Will you Marry Me Pork which was a chinese inspired stir fry dish with rice. Really scrummy. Husband had a thick fillet steak with a sauce and crispy veg and dauphinois potatoes - again very delicious. However, the service went a bit down hill after that. No one came and asked if we wanted anything else for about 30 mins so we eventually asked for out bill and left. A shame because it was certainly our best food. 9 out of 10 for food. 6 out of 10 for service. I would definitely go back though and maybe ask for a table by the big windows overlooking the harbour where the service is bound to be better.

La Bocaina - up the road going out of town near the Cispa garage. This one was recommended by the barman at our regular gin and tonic place. He said he goes there for special occasions all the time. You wouldn't know how lovely it is inside just by driving past so do make the effort. They have lots of twinkly lights inside and the decor really is quality (tablecloths again!) I think the chef is Irish and his wife English and his wife does front of house. I declined a starter again but my husband had some lovely prawns mornay in a little scallop dish. Again quite expensive but delicious. For main I had fillet steak Rossini which was a vision to behold. A tower of loveliness, starting with a hunk of bread topped with sauce, mushrooms, pate, steak and crispy noodles. The shitake mushrooms were a bit strong and I maybe would have preferred a sweeter jus but I ate every mouthful. Husband had another lamb speciality which was absolutely ginormous. Covered in a rich tomato olive and broad bean sauce. He struggled to eat it all but was congratulated on his efforts by the lady owner. Well he is a butcher by trade so he can't be seen to be letting the trade down. Couldn't have eaten a pudding if we had tried so we just had a coffee. Not too expensive for the level of service, decor and food. Maybe 65 euros. 8/9 out of 10.

So there you have it. I will copy these reports to the proper place under restaurants so I can show you a few pictures but I thought it might be useful to see how they all compared with each other.

Bon appetit.

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
11,041 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report - part 2 - what we ate!

thanks for the report on the restaurants, we found Romantica a nice classy place a few years ago when they were on the otherside of the high st. The staff were very attentative and the food was excellent. We didn't find El Mano's good value. The Italian place if you got the view over the balcony was quite good but we found them a little more expensive than a previous year.

Glad you had some good meals

hampshire
Level Contributor
504 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report - part 2 - what we ate!

Thanks for the report We are going to PB for the first time after spending the last 2 Xmas in Costa teguise so need some recomendations

Have found we are given huge steaks in Lanz and last year my husband had a childrens size one a few times and really enjoyed it as that was at least 8oz !!

Really looking forward to sitting out at night to eat !

devon
Level Contributor
383 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report - part 2 - what we ate!

Great, informative post, thanks for taking the time

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report - part 2 - what we ate!

Just glad people get round to reading it. I base a lot of what we do on the recommendations I get and it is only right to give something back. And yes it was lovely to eat outside in December. You needed a jacket or cardi or something but it was lovely.

manchester...
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report - part 2 - what we ate!

thanks for that...sounds amamzing...as playa blanca always is...weve booked La Bocana for new yrs eve....!!!!

Velez Blanco, Spain
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report - part 2 - what we ate!

Fab reviews - just what this website is for.

Paul at La Bocaina is from Nottingham though... not Ireland :o)

Elle xx

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report - part 2 - what we ate!

Sorry Elle,

I wasn't sure about that - should have just said British. My hubby would have known better as he spoke to him but I never.

Velez Blanco, Spain
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report - part 2 - what we ate!

Ah Jean - I am so bad with accents!! I would never have known where he was from - I'd have just said "Northern". It's only because I know the family as I eat there so often :o) xxx

Edited: 13 December 2011, 12:43
North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report - part 2 - what we ate!

I was just wondering - out of curiosity - did you regular Playa Blanca restaurant goers agree with my assessments or was I unlucky/lucky at some of these places compared to your own experiences.

If we went again I would be happy to try 4 out of the 7 again

Romatica, Atlantico, La Bocaina and Espanol and I would definitely like to add Restaurant Aromas Yaiza.

Did I miss out what any of you guys would consider essential dining?

Velez Blanco, Spain
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report - part 2 - what we ate!

Pretty much, yeah. I've not eaten at El Mano or Atlantico as yet... so can't comment on those... but your experiences have been similar to mine. They're not all the places I choose to frequent these days... but not for bad reasons - I just love certain restaurants.

My current faves are... in no particular order:

La Bocaina - for the best Tornados Rossini and scallops - ever!

The Italian Job - for fabulous pizza and pasta, and the lovely Fabio

The Japanese place in Princesa Yaiza Hotel - a rarity to visit as very expensive... but worth every centimo!

La Taberna - for excellent tapas in the Marina. Stick to Spanish dishes rather than British though. Best puntillas on the Island (in my opinion)

La Chalanita - my favourite place for paella... and for flambeed steak.

Elle xx