We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parasol Parasites!

Scotland
Level Contributor
36 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Parasol Parasites!

Hey guys!

I am just back from the H10 Timanfaya Palace in sunny Lanzarote and had a nice time but there was something that seriously bugged me and I was interested in what you guys thought and it is as follows;

The reservation of sun loungers and parasols by holidaymakers early in the morning (and I mean early!) My wife and I were infuriated by people putting towels down on sunloungers and for the whole week of our holiday we were forced to go to reception after breakfast and ask for sun loungers to be brought down. This was only after 9am for god sake! We had no access to a parasol for the whole week of our holiday. I complained to the hotel and to the rep to be told this was highly unusual and only happened in the past couple of weeks! People were asked at our Thomson welcome meeting to refrain from doing this but alot of people did it anyway! The sun loungers were obviously plentiful in supply as 1 of the staff kept bringing them out but the real issue was with the parasols. I have complained directly to the hotel and Thomson too. Some of the things people were doing took my breath away, from;

1) Putting towels down and not turning up until much later! The usual trick!

2) Coming down after their brekkie and moving the sun loungers away from the parasol completely! Unbelievable! I saw 1 example of this and the vacant parasol was snaffled within seconds!!!

3) Removing the parasol completely and sunbathing all day without it! Jesus!!!

It is utterly selfish of people doing this and it just shouldnt be going on! What is your view on this or were you 1 of the culprits!!!

Regards

Brian

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
11,907 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parasol Parasites!

Yes annoying Brian, I loved it when the AI hotel in Cape Verde that I was staying in, removed them all and put them in a pile lol

More should do it

Kent
Level Contributor
6,389 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parasol Parasites!

i think we are being far too polite!! my husband is dreading the day this happens as if after about 2 hours - enough time to have breakfast, get changed, etc the beds were still not being used i would fold the towels and use the beds!! if they arrived after i would say i had paid just as much as them and was entitled to use the beds also. tough luck!! we all moan about it but do nothing so they get away with it, time for a change

Manchester
Level Contributor
288 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parasol Parasites!

Totally agree with lorrabel. We have done that in the past. On our last holiday at the Papagayo Arena it was never a problem with sun beds but in the evening people were saving chairs on the canary bar which is very popular. We saw one couple with 8 chairs round their table when we asked if they were using them they said they had gone to the toilets, we waited over half an hour then just walked up and took 2 of the chairs the look on their faces but half an hour later the were still only the 2 of them sat there.

Velez Blanco, Spain
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca, Province of Almeria
Level Contributor
1,653 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parasol Parasites!

Some people are just plain rude. I personally won't tolerate it... and will happily have a feisty conversation with anyone I catch doing it. Most hotels have signs now to say it's not allowed... but people think they're are exempt. Funny how nobody ever owns up to it though eh?

Elle xx

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
35,288 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parasol Parasites!

Not guilty. Not a hotel person!

dublin
Level Contributor
205 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parasol Parasites!

For sure it is rude and very annoying and would really put me off going back to a hotel. If you have paid to stay at a hotel you have every right to be able to use the pool facilities at your leisure.

I wish hotels would take note and actively manage this.

I have been in many hotels where the pool attendants do remove towels from sunbeds if unattended after a certain period of time and it ensures there are always facilities available whatever time of day you arrive. It worked very well and they were extremely busy hotels too.

As for the sad people who continue to do this, who wants to be up at 6am when you are on holiday, there is more to life! Have consideration for other guests.

Scotland
Level Contributor
36 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parasol Parasites!

Hey guys thanks alot for your comments. I thought I was going to have people disagreeing with me but I am heartened by your support! Lol!

I know what some of you are saying about removing the towels myself and maybe being a little more confrontational but my wife is very quiet and would be mortified if I was having heated discussion with a parasite! Lol! I would prefer if the Hotel tried to manage this issue more effectively and it does put me off going back to a hotel where I have had a dissapointing experience.

I have e-mailed both the Hotel and Thomsons so I will let you know what type of response I get but I won't hold my breath! Elle1971 Manea cocktail bar, Casale Franco Italian and Fazz's Indian were great! I love Playa Blanca! Lol!

Thanks again for your comments. ;-)

west yorkshire
Level Contributor
302 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parasol Parasites!

The worst place we have ever sayed in were some apartments in Palma Nova, Majorca.The first week of the holiday the guests in the ground floor apartments were hiding sunbeds on their patio before they went to bed, covering them up with their towels.

The second week the problem got even worse, we came home at about 1 am after a night out and all the sunbeds were already reserved with towels. This went on for a few nights until one night somebody threw all the towels in the pool lol

Carol

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
1,122 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parasol Parasites!

Skeenie4 - why don't you look at villas or bungalows for your next visit? There are plenty choices and will get rid of the whole issue of those selfish people!

I love all those places you mentioned too.....if you've not already head to marina for a drink in Vino Blanco....great place to chill and watch the world go by!

Manchester
Level Contributor
288 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parasol Parasites!

I think all sun beds should be stacked and chained together until 9am then put out for all to use. Any beds left unattended after close of breakfast around 10ish should have towels removed. Anyone noticing beds not being used have the right to remove towels and use the beds them selfs after all no one but the hotel owns them. I would use a bed I have seen left unattended for hours and say to the parasites when they return ( what are you gonna due about it ) their answer will be a dirty look but they will know full well they are in the wrong. So everyone who pays their hard earned cash on these hotel's gets to lie on a sunbed when they want one.

Get answers to your questions about Playa Blanca