We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking of going for first time

Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Thinking of going for first time

Concerned with historic views of Lanzarote or grotty as it was known. Usually go to puerto Pollensa. Anyone out there who can compare the two places

Mentioned in this post
Lanzarote
Lanzarote
Canary Islands, Spain
Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
38,821 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thinking of going for first time

There's nothing grotty about Lanzarote. It's a beautiful island, but because it's volcanic, it's quite barren compared with Majorca. The amount of lava is awesome!

Mentioned in this post
Lanzarote
Lanzarote
Canary Islands, Spain
Majorca
Majorca
Balearic Islands, Spain
Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
13,616 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thinking of going for first time

yes I have been to both, I tend to pick the Canaries for the winter sunshine and have settled for Lanzarote. The Island is unique and very barren except for the North part which I saw for the first time this last December. The Island has a number of volcanos and lava covers about a quarter of the island from eruptions in the 1700's and the Timanfaya National Park which contain them are quite spectacular to see, and some of the volcanos are still hot.

Puerto Pollensa is quite scenic with the pine walk and mountain back drop but having been to various places in Greece which are equally stunning I found PP very expensive

Edited: 07 February 2013, 21:52
Mentioned in this post
Lanzarote
Lanzarote
Canary Islands, Spain
Timanfaya National Park
Timanfaya National Park
14,749 Reviews
Lanzarote, Spain
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thinking of going for first time

Thanks for prompt replies. Looking at renting villa in Playa Blanca as puerto del carmen looks very busy. Is PB a good place to start

Mentioned in this post
Playa Blanca
Playa Blanca
Lanzarote, Spain
Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
13,616 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thinking of going for first time

Yes we personally wouldn't pick Puerto del Carmen as it has grown too big for us, Playa Blanca suits us and not so busy. Remember PB runs along the coast for about 6 miles and avoid the extremes to be central unless you have a car or want to use buses/ taxis

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Del Carmen
Puerto Del Carmen
Lanzarote, Spain
Playa Blanca
Playa Blanca
Lanzarote, Spain
cornwall
Level Contributor
177 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thinking of going for first time

Your post made me think about our first visit to Playa Blanca 13 years ago, My daughter wanted to go because she had a boss who owned a villa there and thought it was beautiful but I kept saying no its reputation is Lanzagrotty, anyway I gave in and we went, 4 years in succession. We thought it a fascinating island but was a little disappointed in the dining out. Then we had a villa in Puerto Pollensa for 8 years and loved it all, as you will know the eating out options are fantastic. This year we are going back to Lanzarote after being convinced the restaurants have upped their quality. I think you should give it a go very beautiful in a different way from North Majorca (in fact my husband prefers it).

Mentioned in this post
Playa Blanca
Playa Blanca
Lanzarote, Spain
Lanzarote
Lanzarote
Canary Islands, Spain
Majorca
Majorca
Balearic Islands, Spain
Birmingham...
Level Contributor
1 post
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thinking of going for first time

Yesterday we just got back from a week in Playa Blanca and found it a great family resort for a bit of winter sunshine. It was my first time in Lanzarote, but we've been to Majorca, including Pollensa, several times.

We rented a nice villa from a British couple in Playa Blanca. As others have said, the resort itself is smaller and quieter than Puerto del Carmen. The main drag along the Av. Papgayo is OK. Most of the places to eat and drink along here are pizzerias, Chinese restaurants etc. Nothing wrong with them, but not exactly "fine dining". If being within walking distance of good restaurants is important to you, then I would recommend staying nearer the "Marina Rubicon" end of town http://goo.gl/maps/C7gsy The restaurants here are of a higher standard, I can recommend "Casa Roja" as we ate there one evening and had a great meal, but the others there all look pretty good.

If you're planning to rent a car, then you could think about staying in Puerto Calero, which is about 20mins by car from Playa Blanca. This is a much smaller place than Playa Blanca, it has only one hotel and some villas. But the main attraction is the lovely selection of cafes and restaurants, all set around a lovely marina with some very impressive boats! Think of it as mini Puerto Andratx (if you've been to this part of Majorca, you'll know what I mean). But you wouldn't want to be staying in Puerto Calero if you didn't have a car, as it is a little bit isolated.

Hope this helps!

Mentioned in this post
Playa Blanca
Playa Blanca
Lanzarote, Spain
Lanzarote
Lanzarote
Canary Islands, Spain
Majorca
Majorca
Balearic Islands, Spain
Puerto Del Carmen
Puerto Del Carmen
Lanzarote, Spain
Marina Rubicon
Marina Rubicon
7,760 Reviews
Lanzarote, Spain
La Casa Roja
La Casa Roja
1,600 Reviews
Lanzarote, Spain
Puerto Calero
Puerto Calero
Lanzarote, Spain
Scotland
Level Contributor
145 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thinking of going for first time

Hi! As a lover of both PP and PB I agree that PB is as just as good. The thing I love about both is the promenade. I love walking along beside the sea. My kids used to refer to Lanzarote as Lanzagrotty also and were surprised when we booked our first holiday here 6 years ago following a recommendation from friends. We booked the Hotel Costa Calero in Puerto Calero after reading the TA reviews. We fell in love with the island on our first visit - yes it is barren but fascinating! We have been about 10 times in the last 6 years and never tire of it. Most of our visits are in the winter months and we still go to PP and have booked a villa for 3 weeks in September. Hope you decide to try Lanzarote - everyone is so friendly and it has some great hotels!

Mentioned in this post
Lanzarote
Lanzarote
Canary Islands, Spain
Hotel Costa Calero
Hotel Costa Calero
3,905 Reviews
Lanzarote, Spain
Puerto Calero
Puerto Calero
Lanzarote, Spain
Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
38,821 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thinking of going for first time

If you stay in PB try eating at La Chalanita and La Bocaina. Both excellent food and service for resort dining. Most of the restaurants are good, but obviously much better at food other than chips, burgers etc. There are some good restaurants (and not so good) at the Marina Rubicon.

Also pay a visit to the fishing village of El Golfo. The restaurants offer fabulous fish.

PB is a lovely place, with a Spanish feel, great promenade for walking. It's about 15/20 mins walk from the centre to the Marina. We usually eat in PB looking over to Fuerteventura and then often walk to the Marina, have a couple of drinks by the there, and walk back. Lovely easy walk and helps with the excesses lol!

Mentioned in this post
La Chalanita Restaurante
La Chalanita Restaurante
942 Reviews
Lanzarote, Spain
Marina Rubicon
Marina Rubicon
7,760 Reviews
Lanzarote, Spain
El Golfo
El Golfo
309 Reviews
Lanzarote, Spain
Fuerteventura
Fuerteventura
Canary Islands, Spain
manchester...
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thinking of going for first time

dont even think about it......just go and do it......i have been back 4 times and going again in march....Playa blanca is so nice and much better than p/pollensa

we usually hire villas from owners direct....we have aslo booked new yr week at iberostar hotel for this yr.......

playa blanca has some of the best eating paces ...wonderful

Mentioned in this post
Playa Blanca
Playa Blanca
Lanzarote, Spain
Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Thinking of going for first time

I fell in love with puerto pollensa two years ago when we went for the first time, hoping to go again this summer for the third time. We are off to playa blanca on Sunday for the first time never been o lanzarote before either, will let you know what we think when we get back! Reviews on here very reassuring!