We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The wind?

Sheffield
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
The wind?

Seriously is the wind a problem?

Antigua, Spain
Level Contributor
5,049 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The wind?

hi

To whom??? you will be grateful of any breeze that reduces the temperature by a few degrees.....but it is not constant.......sometimes it can be several days with no breeze at all......do not forget the islands lie directly on the trade winds that blow back and forth across the Atlantic( the old name for the islands was The Fortunate Isles because of the reliable winds here for sailing ships)....which is why Columbus and other explorers set forth from here.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
35,288 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The wind?

You really don't want to be there in the summer if the breeze disappears lol!

Sheffield
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The wind?

Thanks for the replays it just every time I seem to look at videos etc it just looks extremely windy I want a tan :) and one more question is it windier in July than June?

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
35,288 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The wind?

You'll tan more with the wind, but don't be deceived. It might feel cooler but you will fry due to the strength of the sun, even if it's cloudy.

Antigua, Spain
Level Contributor
5,049 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The wind?

Hi

Only time it is really not windy is around April/May and September/October when the trade winds die down as they change direction.......Wind has no effect on tanning.....it is the UV in sunlight that causes you to tan which is why mountain climbers and skiers can get sunburnt in sub-zero temperatures .......June and July have no noticeable difference in wind.

Even if its blowing a hoolie and weather is cloudy because of the location of the island you will tan and will need to take care not to become sunburnt.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
5,067 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The wind?

We've just got back from 10 days in PB, and found the wind to be a greater problem (in terms of being a bit too chilly) at night or if it's very cloudy.

I found myself having to use a cardi and light scarf (and sometimes even a jacket) in the evening, which I have never had to do in 5 years in Gran Can at the same time of year. A light scarf is definitely a help in the evenings - I noticed I wasn't the only one wearing one!

Sheffield
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: The wind?

But was it ok during the day? Do u have a tan! We're the pools cold?

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
35,288 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The wind?

Have you been reading the weather thread that is updated daily? That will give you an idea of the weather.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187477-i240-k66…

It is never cold during the day at this time of year, even when it's breezy. Believe me, when the sun is out you'll be glad of the breeze. It will have absolutely no bearing on whether you tan or not. Just don't forget the high SPF.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
5,067 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The wind?

Hi Moomoos

Don't worry, i do have a tan!

Basically for the first 5 days we had slightly cloudy mornings, sunny afternoons, and a cloud bank rolled back in over Montana Roja around 6 or 7pm - a bit frustrating if you've just got back from sightseeing and fancy a quick hour by the pool! Couldn't see anything resembling a sunset due to the cloud for the first 5 days. For the latter 5 days we had practically no cloud during the day and only a little late evening. Temps the whole time were probably mid to upper twenties with a couple of days hitting 30. The wind was really strong the first 2 or 3 days, then calmed down to more normal levels, but I still found the breeze a little chilly in the shade (maybe I am just a wimp!)

Regarding pool temps, we were at the Volcan which has a small "acclimatised" pool and a big unheated pool. The big pool was too cold for all but the most serious swimmers for the first few days - it was quite funny watching people dip a foot in, then walk away! It got slightly warmer for the second half of the hols, but still felt cooler than a similarly sized (if not bigger) pool at Lopesan Costa Meloneras in Gran Can - but then in GC we had 30 deg every day and no cloud. Equally I have seen comments regarding pool temps at the Princesa Yaiza and the Timanfaya Palace so perhaps heating big pools is just not something done in Lanz.

Be prepared to swim fast to keep warm, just in case :)

If you're eating/drinking inside the evenings, you'll have no issues. A lightweight jacket and scarf might prove useful if you are heading out- but you might want them for your travelling outfit on the plane if you find plane aircon cold anyway!

Have a good time!

Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The wind?

We went to p b last week in June and the wind was a problem and we did not like the evening as it was chilly loved the resort but would not go back due to the climate I love the warm balmy evenings

Get answers to your questions about Playa Blanca