We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Almacen de la Sal - new restaurant yet??

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Almacen de la Sal - new restaurant yet??

When I was last over in PB in May I saw some work going on inside after it had closed down a short while before....does anyone know what is or has opened yet??

It's next door to Kings Head in front of the beach by the way.

Back to PB in just over 3 weeks and just wondered what I'd see there!

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
12,222 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Almacen de la Sal - new restaurant yet??

Oh i'm going to need a new picture then lol

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
876 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Almacen de la Sal - new restaurant yet??

My wife and I used to think this restaurant - in a converted salt warehouse - was a good place to go for dinner in the winter because it was nice to eat inside and enjoy the ambience of this historic building, especially if there was live music on the piano.

While the food was good, we finally got fed up (no pun intended!) with the poor service from the staff - we found that they could be a bit grumpy! It's not just us thinking that, other family members and friends said the same. With lots of much better places to eat in Playa Blanca, there was never a reason for us to go back.

Still, I'd be interested to see what's happening to the place ... it would be a real shame if they spoil the inside, it was its best feature!

Antigua, Spain
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Almacen de la Sal - new restaurant yet??

Hi

Building work still going on......to convert downstairs into (yet another....like PB needs one) Chinese ´´tat´´ shop and upstairs into an ´´oriental´´ (read yet another Chinese ...again like PB needs it) restaurant.

Nothing against the ´´oriental´´ theme but how about Moroccan (given the proximity)...or some other nationality themed restaurant.

Doubt there will be much of the original features left after work is completed.

Edited: 30 July 2013, 12:02
Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
36,306 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Almacen de la Sal - new restaurant yet??

That's not good LL. As you say, enough Chinese 'tat' and chinese restaurants already! What a shame.

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
876 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Almacen de la Sal - new restaurant yet??

So it looks like we won't be going back there again!

What a shame for Playa Blanca, for all its faults, at least Almacen de la Sal was a bit different. Who needs another Chinese restaurant in PB - unless, of course, it's going to be a good one at last.

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Almacen de la Sal - new restaurant yet??

th

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Almacen de la Sal - new restaurant yet??

Oops - I was actually going to suggest you try La Chalanita since the owners (Jose and Ramon) used to work in Almacen de la Sal and I always highly rate their service standards but since you didn't like the service in Almacen, I guess this isn't a helpful suggestion!

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Almacen de la Sal - new restaurant yet??

Oops from me....I only half posted something earlier!

I was meaning to say that it's a shame if it will be a Chinese...already have a favourite chinese restaurant (Great World), although I'd rather have a nice fresh fish in a Spanish restaurant.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
84 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Almacen de la Sal - new restaurant yet??

JoMark, Jose and Ramon left Almacen several years ago. It may not be coincidence that the service levels fell when they left. I found that the food remained at a good standard in Almacen but there was a distance and lack of friendliness in the service that caused me to visit less and less. I was disappointed but not surprised that it had closed. The disappointment is heightened by the fact that it is not being re-opened as a Spanish/Canarian style restaurant (or Basque as several of the Almacen specialities used to be if I recall correctly). I have nothing against oriental food but I get as much of it as I want back home.

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
876 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Almacen de la Sal - new restaurant yet??

Yes, JoMark, we have been to La Chalanita once, on our last visit in June. We had a very nice meal there with great service, and we will definitely be going again in the future.

Edited: 31 July 2013, 13:39