We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming platform-near Iberostar Papagayo...

divaland
Level Contributor
172 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming platform-near Iberostar Papagayo...

Hi,

I am aware that there is the usual disclaimer at this swim/ dive board near the hotel...but does anyone know who it belongs to, or has even a little bit of responsibility ...

Our holiday could have ended in a dreadful way....

M

Antigua, Spain
Level Contributor
4,845 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming platform-near Iberostar Papagayo...

Hi

Given the fact that there is a disclaimer is there not a name at the bottom of the sign giving info as to who has placed the disclaimer there??.........and if you had read the disclaimer then why risk doing something that could ...quote ´´holiday could have ended in a dreadful way....´´unquote ??????.......presumably this is why ´´whoever´´placed the disclaimer there in the first place.!!

Edited: 11 August 2013, 13:48
Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming platform-near Iberostar Papagayo...

I'm not sure that's a fair comment without knowing more detail. To be fair to the OP, most public car parks have disclaimers - and we still use them. Most hotels have disclaimers for their safes and guess what, we still use them. So don't think this particular post of yours is adding much value Lanzalocal - sorry!

I always assumed that the platform was owned by Iberostar primarily for the use of their guests but hopefully someone can confirm who owns this.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming platform-near Iberostar Papagayo...

Gosh shocked to read your post as myself and two daughters swam regularly from this platform two years ago when we stayed at the iberostar papagayo. Lots of people were using it not just hotel guests too! Didn't even see the disclaimer! Makes you think doesn't it.

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
11,578 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming platform-near Iberostar Papagayo...

I not sure what happen from your post and have had a look at my photos to try and find it but no luck, is it down here ?

img43.imageshack.us/img43/7185/jcbq.jpg

divaland
Level Contributor
172 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming platform-near Iberostar Papagayo...

Hi

The steps have been removed to get in and out of the water. The edges are hard, sharp pointed plastic, so when you are pulling yourself onto the platform out of the sea it can cause injury. In my husbands case it did.

I have viewed previous photos and the platform has been altered and not maintained.

I was genuinely looking for info on the ownership which I have now found, so that I could highlight this to the hotel.....not a telling off Lanzalocal..oh, .I think your finger got stuck on the ? Key .. ...?????????????.

Delboy- yes that is the path to the platform.

M

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
11,578 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming platform-near Iberostar Papagayo...

Hi Gitterdiva

Yes I went into the hotel reviews and the photos show a blue plastic jetty, on the very end, there appears to be a swimming pool ladder with handles, on the righthand side, there also appears to be a part sectioned off with a rope, as I assume there are rocks underneath. I have a photo taken of the same area where the pier should be but in November 2010 the blue pier just doesnt exist

divaland
Level Contributor
172 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swimming platform-near Iberostar Papagayo...

Evening Delboy,

The platform has definitely been altered since then, the steps are removed...maybe this is why the disclaimer is there. My point was that if the hotel is altering it then more maintenance is now required.

I have emailed the hotel to inform them.

Thank you for your interest.

M.

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
11,578 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swimming platform-near Iberostar Papagayo...

Thats ok glitterdiva, sometimes you can spot things with old photos but I needed to know where abouts the pier was. I then went to the hotel reviews and spotted it on the reviewers photos, then checked out the old photos I had but it didn't exist, good luck with that they need to know if there is a danger to others

img547.imageshack.us/img547/2605/0cbl.jpg

derby
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Swimming platform-near Iberostar Papagayo...

Totally agree with lanzalocal. The fact that there is a disclaimer notice would indicate there's a risk factor. Why use it then and complain after. Like eating a meal and telling restaurant food dreadful but you've eaten it.You had a choice and decided to use it.

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
653 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Swimming platform-near Iberostar Papagayo...

Glitterdiva, we stayed at the Sandos Papagayo Arena last June, last September and June of this year.

We walked/ran past the raft thingy a few times a day and always had a nose just because we believed it was a facility of the Iberostar so as you do I like to compare hotels/facilities and also found it interesting and a nice idea.

What I noticed was that in September when the sea was a little rougher it got taken out further, away from the rocks and it was secured somehow as it stayed out there for a few days and had it have escaped from its normal place it would have floated away, so it was unusable from access from the hotel unless you swam out there which was quite a long way, so somebody is going to the effort of doing this. Hope this helps.

I did notice like you have said, that the steps are no longer on it. I *think* that has changed from our visit in September so changed over the winter? but I can't say 100% if I am correct on that.

Hope your husband is ok.