We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mossie repellant

derby
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
Save Topic
Mossie repellant

Leyland (think you're still in Lanza), is there any particular name of repellant you'd recommend. Have got Avon dry oil spray, but even that didn't work in Spain! Thanks jane

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
35,280 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mossie repellant

Yep, still here :)

The name of the one I use is goibi, and it's a natural one. Pump spray, green and white box. I brought some from home for hubby to use, and used it myself first night - no bites, so used it again night after - big mistake, so went to the farmacia.

Goibi has always worked ok for me.

Edited: 13 September 2013, 10:04
derby
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mossie repellant

Thanks for that, so do I go to famacia to buy it?

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mossie repellant

We use Autan which is great I think you can get it in the supermarkets over there, Spar etc. if you have been bit already the pharmacies sell a liquid pen called Afterbite which reduces the itching and swelling and generally gets rid of the bites a lot quicker and makes them a lot more bearable.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
35,280 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mossie repellant

Mosley, yes go to a farmacia for it. If we go to the Caribbean I use a UK brand with deet which works great, but a bit overkill for Lanza. I've tried all the usual UK ones and nothing works for me, but goibi does.

I always have an aftebite pen in my handbag as well, but it's been never necessary when I use goibi.

Not saying that it will work for you, but skin so soft doesn't work me for me either. The last time I used it I got eaten alive :(

Hubby always says I'm made of different stuff hahaha!

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
11,906 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mossie repellant

sugar and spice Leyland,

mozzies hate the puppy dog tails, so im ok,

we go for the deet, we pass the Jungle bar each night

Edited: 13 September 2013, 14:00
derby
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mossie repellant

Many thanks for your help. Got an after bite pen, so first stop will be famacia or second as I need to get all my food in the fridge lol!

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
35,280 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mossie repellant

:)

I hope it does work for you!

england
Level Contributor
64 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mossie repellant

I've been advised to take vitamin B (some number) Thiamin for 5 days before & each day we are there - not tried it before. But will take repellent as well. Thank you for advice re Afterbite pen - never heard of them before. :-)

derby
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mossie repellant

Taking B99 vitamins were recommended by TA member last year. I could only find them in a health store so I didn't bother. Afterbite pens only about £1.99 from chemists are good after you've been bitten, but be prepared for the strong smell of ammonia! It stops me scratching so smell doesn't matter. Try the repellent recommend by Leyland, I certainly will get some once there.

Edited: 16 September 2013, 07:59
Bishopton, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mossie repellant

I take a terrible reaction to Mozzie bites so slather on Jungle Formula Full Strength. I don't use the ammonia type after bite pen. Instead I have an electronic one, which you put over the bite and click it about 10 times. it gives the skin a small electric shock. really works for me. Bought it in Boots. It's very small so fits easily in a pocket. Under a tenner but you get 10000 clicks, so 1000 applications. Worth every penny for me.

Get answers to your questions about Playa Blanca
Recent Conversations