We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoking in Bars!

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Smoking in Bars!

A few years ago people were quite happily smoking in bars in PB...

One year we went back, and we were told it was now band (as it should be)..

But most people were saying, they have a purge on smokers then it

gets relaxed again and everyone smokes anywhere.

What is it like now, still a complete ban?

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
5,121 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smoking in Bars!

Hi

Smoking inside any public bar in Spain has been illegal since Jan 2011,and remains so to this day......it has never been relaxed and still carries heavy fines for both the premises owners and the smoker......but with the advent of ´´e-cigs´´ a lot of places have adopted a more tolerant attitude to the use of these devices within premises

Edited: 10 December 2013, 14:06
Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Bangor, Co. Down
Level Contributor
87 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smoking in Bars!

We visited many bars / restaurants whilst in Lanzarote for two weeks last month. I can honestly say no one was smoking inside premises, however smoking was permitted at tables placed outside the restaurant / bar.

Mentioned in this post
Lanzarote
Lanzarote
Canary Islands, Spain
hampshire
Level Contributor
630 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smoking in Bars!

Yes Ever since the ban I have never seen people smoke inside anywhere in Spain Some have almost closed premises ( winter terraces ) and just a few gaps and have seen it them

Only place we have seen it flouted since most of Europe banned it has been in italy !

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smoking in Bars!

We were just in Playa Blanca, over New Year. We are non smokers and yes, people weren't smoking inside establishments however; many stand right outside the front door puffing away so you have to go through a haze of smoke to go into, or out of, any bar. Also, some bars have patios so you can't really enjoy sitting out there because again, everyone is puffing away.

I was a smoker for 21 years and maybe reformed smokers are the worst - all I know is, I was ignorant to the effects of smoke on people, until I stopped.

I hope Europe follows Canada's rules (Toronto at least) and bans smoking altogether in public places.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smoking in Bars!

I'm with you Sharon,it's a disgusting habit !

We too suffered the inconsiderate that smoked at the door at at times it's a real pain.

I don't think it will be to long until a total ban on public areas comes into force and I think for many it can't come quick enough.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
4,357 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smoking in Bars!

I've never smoked and certainly smoking immediately outside the entrance is antisocial and shouldn't happen. However, smoking is still legal and I think smokers should be provided with areas where they can smoke. Most pubs in the UK have outside smoking areas and I have no problem with that.

I do remember a local pub many years ago who introduced a no-smoking area, good idea but unfortunately it was in a raised area of the pub and smoke rises!!!

7. Re: Smoking in Bars!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2015, 06:19