We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Ranking

edinburgh
Level Contributor
86 posts
239 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant Ranking

Is it only me or does anybody think it's a bit weird that a restaurant which has apparently been closed since the end of January is still ranked at number one, while lots of people are reviewing restaurants which are not closed every day? Has the ranking system (for PB anyway) got any credibility? Can anyone explain this?

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
11,585 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Ranking

well the ranking is based on the number of stars given over a period, as a member I believe you are allowed to review a place that you have been to within a year. You will see the top review was visited in December and have since found out it has been closed. Others are reviewing from visits in january but posted in February. Not sure at what point TA shut off the reviews after a place closes. The top one was really a coffee shop but a nice one but shouldn't really be compared with a restaurant

Credibility is the same worldwide and not just PB. if a member is prompted by TA with questions ' have you been to a resto recently, enter you review here', odd dates will come out. I personally don't take a lot of notice of them, when a fish and chip shop resto can be no 1 over a high class one but it's what members say to make it no 1.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
3,919 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Ranking

choc, did you mean to say "restaurants which aren't open every day" rather than "aren't closed every day"?

Many restaurants do close one day a week, not just in Lanzarote but in other resorts I've visited. Particularly true of family run restaurants as the family do need some time off.

On the point about ratings for restaurants which are no longer operating: I don't know how closely TA monitors postings. It can also be helpful to know that a restaurant has closed down if you have been reading historic posts for a location.

Having coffee shops, chip shops and true restaurants all under a common grouping does seem a bit odd.

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
11,585 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Ranking

The no 1 rated cafe/ restaurant in PB has actually closed Keith

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
3,919 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Ranking

I realise that Delboy. I certainly agree that there is no point in showing a closed restaurant at the top of the ratings list. However, an entry for what had clearly been a popular restaurant simply stating "Now closed" or similar, could be helpful to people who are looking at earlier posts where others have suggested it.

Hope that makes sense.

If you read chocs original post it seems to be questioning why people would be reviewing restaurants which aren't closed too. That's why I'm asking if that was what they means.

UK
Destination Expert
for Ayia Napa, Puerto Del Carmen, Skala, Cyprus, Protaras
Level Contributor
13,969 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Ranking

They're non reviews and as such shouldn't be published.....unfortunately the TA filters are pretty poor at not publishing them. The only way to get rid is to report them via the actual review. Same way permanently closed places can also be reported as closed on the review.....if your lucky they're eventually removed just don't hold your breath !

Edited: 18 April 2014, 12:34
Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
11,585 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant Ranking

I think you have to read many reviews and not really take any notice of ranking to get the proper picture. Star ratings can be misleading, especially if only a few people have reviewed a place and each have given it five stars. If you compare that with a restaurant that has been reviewed 500 times and one person has given it one star it may well be enough to drop it several places unless an algorithm is in place to compensate for it.

I can recall reading one that said, my kid's burger and chicken nuggets were burn't one lunchtime and gave it one star, yet I had some wonderful steaks cooked on the barbeque in the same restaurant.

So you have to read a lot of reviews, that also applies with the hotel reviews to get a true picture

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
3,919 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant Ranking

Absolutely right Delboy. Star ratings can easily be skewed by one or two very good or very bad, particularly if there are comparitively few in total. It's the content of the review which helps reveal the underlying trend.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
623 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant Ranking

I always enjoy reading reviews, be it restaurants because all of us in our family are foodies or hotels or even attractions as travel is my passion / obsession. The problem with reviews is that everyone is different and has different standards and experiences to compare the current experience too.

To sum it up, I have stayed in some fabulous Maldives hotels so last year we decided to go again and picked a resort that was 3 times the price and continues to have faultless reviews, we were disappointed as it was no better than the others we had been too yet a lot more expensive. If you look at most of the reviews the reviewers have never been anywhere else so they think it is great and how can that place possibly live up to those faultless reviews?

When we started our own holiday cottage business we had the choice of being top end 4 star or 5 star and we took Visit Britains advice and went for 4 star, that way everyone is overwhelmed instead of underwhelmed. guests aren't disappointed.

How would the queen rate Mc Donalds ?.... 1 star?

How would a tramp rate Mc Donalds? ...probably 3 star

How would some poor starving person from a third world country who doesn't even get clean water to drink rate it?..... probably 6 star.

It is all subjective and perhaps we would all do better to look at the actual reviewers rather than the actual review?

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
11,585 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant Ranking

yes agree with that Chrissy I have used the same analogy on here in the past

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
1,081 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant Ranking

I agree with Delboy in that small cafes or coffee shops and ice cream parlours should not be classed as restaurants. I think the reviews are based on a 6 month turnover and the more recent ones carry more weight. I think most people tend to give hotel reviews but not review everywhere they have been for a meal, which is a shame. I try and review every business that I've visited, even if I've just had a few beers in a bar

Get answers to your questions about Playa Blanca