We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiring a car

lincolnshire
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hiring a car

Hi

we are visiting Playa Blanca in September and staying in a villa I was wondering wether its worth hiring a car for the week. Are there plenty of places worth visiting on the island? Also has anyone got any recommendations of which company to hire a car from.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
5,238 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiring a car

Hi

Hiring a car is an excellent idea - car hire is cheap, there is lots to see, and the island is not too big so journeys are not too long.

Here's a list of things to see:

www.discoverlanzarote.com/attractions.asp

In terms of car hire, if you look at the top right of your screen here on tripadvisor you will see "top questions on Playa Blanca" - and a link to a section about car hire. This will tell you who is good and who is bad. Most of the trade in car hire on Lanzarote is small local firms rather than known brands, mainly due to prohibitive fuel policies and insurance costs with the known names.

In summary, the favourites are Topcar Autoreisen, Cabrera Medina, and CM's sister company CICAR. All have good prices and those prices include full insurance with no excess to pay, I think they also include a 2nd driver, kiddy car seats if needed, and "return it as you found it" fuel policy. They may exclude a couple of things on the insurance (such as damage to the underside of the car) but the known brands also have that exclusion too - this is standard to stop people taking cars off-road. The other good thing about these firms is that you can prebook online but you don't hand over credit card details until your arrival, and you can cancel at no charge if you change your mind.

Please avoid Goldcar. All you have to do is google Goldcar to see why.

Do you have transfers organised to/from the airport? If not, why not collect your car at the airport on arrival? All of the above have airport offices, and car hire is so cheap it may not cost much more to hire a car for the week than it would simply to pay for airport transfers for your group.

Roads are good, the island is well signposted, there isn't much traffic, and the hire car company will give you a free basic map. Go for it!

Edited: 18 May 2014, 10:37
Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiring a car

Yes definitely worth doing. Hire from autoriesen. Book online in advance. Used them for years, they're normally the cheapest, no charge until you collect car, free second driver etc. And changes are free too so if rates drop after you book, you can rebook at lower price with no charge.

Plenty to see and since Lanzarote is so small you could cover most dites in a couple of days. Suggest El Golfo, Timanfaya National park (a must see), Manerique Foundation, Mirador del Rio, Green Caves, Lagomar (the house Omar Sharif lost through gambling). And just enjoy a lazy walk through some of the local villages like Arrietta, Teguise.

enjoy.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
35,617 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiring a car

Definitely hire a car. Check out the Top Questions "Car Hire" where you'll find lots of useful information, plus info on the companies to avoid! Cabrera Medina give you an audio CD with information on places to visit.

prestonpans
Level Contributor
135 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiring a car

just arrived today picked up car at air port it took10miins (autoreisen) £95 for 2 weeks all inc.

Stockport
Level Contributor
162 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiring a car

Just cancelled my transfers with lastminute and now looking at car hire. I've seen so many messages saying it won't cost much more than the transfers but I can't find it cheaper than around £180 for the smallest car with autoriesen for 2 weeks. Are there better rates to be found?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
369 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiring a car

I presume your going in August as that's the usual rate for that time of year. I have booked the next car up for 230 euro (started at 260 but came down a few times before going back up so always worth checking every day then re-booking if it drops) A taxi would set you back 55 euro each way so your getting 2wks car hire for less than £100 (after transfers) and just having it outside makes everything so much more accessible and will probably pay for its self. I have friends currently in Playa Blanca and they only paid 120 euros for 2wks with Autoreisan so just like everything else we get charged a premier price in School holidays unfortunately.

But whatever you do don't go and get a better price from one of the on-line brokers then end up being charged for fuel, insurance etc etc. Stick with the recommended companies on here.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
35,617 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiring a car

Steve if you're only hiring for a week, depending on who you hire from, then a car will cost about the same as the transfers. Peak season it will be a bit more. Obviously this isn't going to be the case if you're going for 2 weeks.

Staffs
Level Contributor
101 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiring a car

We paid 240 for 2 weeks with autoriesen and it looks like the latest ford focus equivalent is the Citroen elysee which is ok. I'd look at it on the basis that if the taxi/transfer cost 100, then for 10 euros a day you have the convenience of the car. We did the north yesterday but haven't really used it today (apart from a drop off and pick up in town because lazy madam daughter and friend 'didn't feel like walking'.... Although faro park is a fair way) but it's there and we would have paid probably another 50 for the four of us to go on a bus tour..... With all the hotel pick up and drop offs along the way!

Worthing, United...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiring a car

Avoid Goldcar - we had a terrible experience with them!

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hiring a car

We use www.pluscar-lanzarote.com and they are great. Can pick up from airport too.

Get answers to your questions about Playa Blanca
Recent Conversations