We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August Pool Heating

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
369 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
August Pool Heating

This August we have rented a villa in the Faro Park area and have the option of turning on the pool heating. I have read that some owners have it on all year round so my question is should I have it put it on and if so will I notice the difference.

Thanks in advance Robert

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
35,689 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August Pool Heating

I've only stayed in villas with solar heated pools. I certainly wouldn't get in without any heating, but that's just me. Personal preference as to how warm you like the water to be.

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: August Pool Heating

I assume that you mean you have to pay for the heating if you want it turned on. ?

We don't charge for our pool heating, which uses an electric heat pump, and it is on all year round but it's thermostatically controlled at 28/29 degrees and in August it probably never actually comes on - or perhaps just for a minute or so when the system starts first thing in the morning until the sensor measures the temperature. The main thing is to put the pool cover on, assuming it has one, when you are not actually using the pool and especially overnight. Depending on the type this not only keeps the heat in, particularly overnight, but it acts as a solar blanket during the day, acting like a greenhouse, and the sun heats up the water.

If the pool has a solar cover, and you use it, then you will probably not need the heating but I guess it depends on how much you have to pay.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
369 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August Pool Heating

Yes we have to pay its €70 euro for the 2 wks which I don't mind paying. It's our 1st villa in Lanzarote always been mainland Spain before and found villa pools just perfect day or night. Not sure about the cover and if I'm honest probably couldn't be bothered so may be worth laying after all.

Thanks again for the information

Edited: 24 June 2014, 12:02
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
369 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: August Pool Heating

That's Paying not laying

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
35,689 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: August Pool Heating

It takes a couple of minutes to cover a pool, and is worth doing. Not only does it keep it warmer, but it also stops a lot of the bugs from going for a midnight swim, and the birds from using it as a bath. It also helps to keep leaves etc out, especially when it's breezy. It cuts down on the time you spend in the morning cleaning it before you get into it.

London
Level Contributor
1,790 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: August Pool Heating

28 or 29C?!! In aug you will be begging for that water to be cooler!!!

Yes its personal pref - but I find anything over 25 or 26 is no longer refreshing and might as well just have a bath!

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: August Pool Heating

Pool heating doesn't cool, only heats. So if it's over 28 by itself then it won't make it any cooler! The ideal temperature is a matter of personal preference but generally speaking 28 is generally thought to be about right for a leisure pool with a modicum of actual swimming. 25 is considered to be quite low for most people. Our heater has a 1 degree hysteresis so when it gets to 29 it cuts off and doesn't come back on until it drops to below 28.

But, in fact, what people feel is a comfortable temperature is also relative to the current air temperature, the presence of direct sun and the presence or absence of wind or breeze which has a cooling effect when you get out. It is often said that the water temperature can be kept cooler in winter because the air temperature is less and so the water can "feel" warmer than it does in the summer.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
369 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: August Pool Heating

Once again thanks for all your help I have emailed to ask about the cover as the view on google earth suggest there isn't one. If there isn't I might go with the heating as if I remember rightly the temp does drop at night in Lanzarote.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
541 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: August Pool Heating

We always stay in villas and covering the pool is mandatory. It maintains the temperature as well as helps to stop things blowing in to the water all might long, like leaves and debris. It's really not a problem and very easy to do.

derby
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: August Pool Heating

The last villa we rented, the gardener/poolman used to come about 7pm each night and clean pool before covering it. Other times with solar heating we did it and like others have said quick and easy to do. I like water temp to be 27/28 degrees, both winter and summer!