We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advise on a day trip itinerary

Which Sanliurfa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
176 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
advise on a day trip itinerary

Hopefully the weekend would be sunny and warm enough this winter, we plan to do a-day-trip visit to Sanliurfa and start our journey early in the morning from Gaziantep. Realizing that there are so many interesting places and historical sites, I tend to think that it is quite impossible to do it only in a day. However is it realistic enough that we expect to be able to visit: Balikli Gol, Cave of Abraham, Golbasi Park, Castle of Urfa, and Gobeklitepe in a day?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: advise on a day trip itinerary

Hi Lanni,

I doubt your question will be answered properly here. Our forum regular ResmeN has done a Turkey tour very recently and he has visited this area too. Maybe you can send him a PM to ask his help. Sorry for not actually helping you :(

Best of luck,

Borus

Edited: 14 February 2014, 00:30
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
176 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advise on a day trip itinerary

Hello Borus, your reply is great and I can find more information about our incoming -weekend-trip to ResmeN. Thanks for help - as always!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advise on a day trip itinerary

Hi Lanni_12

There is a place called Eski Halfeti which is roughly half way between Gaziantep and Sanliurfa.

Our resident forum helper enigma himself has also visited the region and done a boat tour there.

I also did the same and highly recommend it. The view is picturesque and then you reach a sunken village with only the top half of a minaret poking out of the water which caps it off.

Don't forget to visit all the wonderful places in Gaziantep such as the mosaic museum, old castle, old hans and beautiful eateries.

Katmerci Zekeriya Usta is an ordinary looking store producing extraordinary pastry breakfast treats with a hint of sugar that borders sweet but it is more on the savoury side so just qualifies as breakfast instead of dessert. http://www.katmercizekeriya.com/iletisim.html

They're only open from 0600-1300 and we couldn't get enough.

Imam Cagdas, not much can be said about this place that hasn't already been said other than if you want authentic Ali nazik kebabs, lahmacun, baklava then this is the place to visit.

http://www.imamcagdas.com/iletisim/

There are many little museums around town which may take your fancy.

Above 2 eateries are within walking distance of one another.

Anyway back to Sanliurfa, if you leave Gaziantep early at about 6 or 7 you'd be looking at arriving in to Sanliurfa in about 2 hours. Go straight to Gobeklitepe to visit it.

After that come back in town park your car, assuming you have a rental otherwise you can do it with bus as well albeit at the bus schedules timetable and pace rather than your own.

Visit the old bazaars before making your way to the Golbasi district which contains Abrahams cave, Balikli gol, Sanliurfa castle. The castle is well worth it as it has lots of caves and you could spend many hours up there if you wish.

If you still have time on your hand then catch a taxi to prophet Eyup (Job) cave.

This is more than enough to keep you busy for the day but if you want more then can also take a look at Harran if it takes your interest. I've done all these places on multiple occasions and keep going back for more.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
176 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: advise on a day trip itinerary

ResmeN, thank you very much for the suggested itinerary especially the trip from Gaziantep to Sanliurfa. We are ready with our weekend trip!!! Hope the weather will be excellent!

Istanbul
Level Contributor
2,045 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: advise on a day trip itinerary

Have a great trip Lanni. I just came back from a trip in Mardin, Urfa and Gaziantep. You have good advice above. I'm not sure if I can add anything but I am sure you will enjoy Sanliurfa, it's really a unique and special place.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: advise on a day trip itinerary

kachika I followed your trip progress with interest. Pity about the inclement weather on your way out there.

7. Re: advise on a day trip itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2015, 05:26
Get answers to your questions about Sanliurfa