We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nights Coromandel region - where to stay ?

Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
2 nights Coromandel region - where to stay ?

Hi all,

I have 2 nights planned for the Coromandel region in March 2010 and looking for advice to make the most of my stay.

Will be arriving ex Auckland, 2 nights Coromandel, then onto Whatakane.......

Any info. would be fantastic. Cheers.

The 309 Road
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Coromandel Forest Park
National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas
Mercury Bay
Bodies of Water
Kauri Block Track
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Hiking Trails
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,968 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 nights Coromandel region - where to stay ?

Whitianga is usually the best place to be based. Lots to do there plus it is not too far to drive up to Coromandel.

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,656 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 nights Coromandel region - where to stay ?

I am assuming that you are driving.

I would be inclined to go out of Auckland through Whitford, Kawakawa, Kaiaua (Seabird Coast), Miranda (Hot Springs), Thames and up to Coromandel Town for the night. Next morning drive across to Kuaotuna with a side trip to Matarangi, down to Whitianga, Cooks beach, Hahei (with a walk to Cathedral Cove weather permitting and lowish tide) and maybe visit Hot Water Beach. Stay in Hahei at The Church (Restaurant closed Sun - Mon) then drive down through Whangamata, Waihi Beach, Mt Maunganui to Whakatane next day.

This will give you quite a bit of driving, lots of beautiful scenery, beautiful beaches spread over the 3 days.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
410 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 nights Coromandel region - where to stay ?

Agree with Wigwam although if you are going up the coast from Thames to Coromandel Town then I dont think it is essential to come down from Whitford - it makes a very long day and the road up to Coromandel side hugs the Firth of Thames is the more interesting (IMO)

So suggest you go the main route to Thames via Route 1 and turn onto Route 2 after the Bombay Hills and across to Thames- this is the most direct route to the Peninsula and would give you time to check out Barry Bricknells Railway and the Watergardens after you leave Thames on the way to Cormandel and then as WW suggests stay in Hahei in the second night.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,449 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 nights Coromandel region - where to stay ?

I'd go with Auckland to Coromandel township via SH2 rather than through Whitford(although that is a nice drive it's quite a distance to travel) And the next night at Hahei.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
181 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 nights Coromandel region - where to stay ?

I would definately agree with padso and zappers. Staying in Hahei the second night will give you the flexibility to see more of the Coromandel. I had a rainy day (I know it never rains in Coromandel)there and wish in retrospect that I had allowed for an extra day.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 nights Coromandel region - where to stay ?

I would do the coast road out from Whitford and Miranda to Thames and spend the first night in Coromandel township. Next morning ride the Driving Creek Railway and then head to Whitianga for the second night. Hahei is not an option for me, far too restrictive for food and accommodation but well worth a visit but I prefer Tairua.

Kay

7. Re: 2 nights Coromandel region - where to stay ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 02 May 2009, 21:25
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,368 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 nights Coromandel region - where to stay ?

I would go with Scotty Girl. Whitianga is so central. We based ourselves there, it has a really nice feel to it with a great choice of places to stay. Don't miss a trip in the glass bottom boat, it's one of those "wow" experiences!

Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 nights Coromandel region - where to stay ?

Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone for their input and advice. Much appreciated.

Our itinerary has changed direction since my last post and we will now be travelling anti-clockwise and arriving to Coromandel region ex Whakatane.

Is it too ambitious to drive from Whakatane to either Hahei or Whitianga ?

Cheers.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,449 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 nights Coromandel region - where to stay ?

No, it would be about a 4-1/2 hour leisurely drive. Take your time as it's a very scenic and interesting drive right along the coastline. Do stop at The Mount for a quick look and/or lunch. there are some lovely cafes at the Main Beach.