We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coromandel in 1 day

Sandy, Utah
Level Contributor
149 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Coromandel in 1 day

I'm traveling with my 70 year old parents and will have a day and a half to get from Opotiki/Hicks Bay to the airport. Is it insane to try and drive up to at least Hahei? Was thinking of on day one driving to Whangamata and then on the 1/2 day driving up to Hahei and down to the airport. Are the views spectacular or do you really need to get out and walk?

Is Lonely Cove a short walk? How do I get there? I really want to go to Cathedral Cove but don't think I have time for a two hour hike.

My other thought, if views require significant walking is to just stay in the East Cape area a bit longer.

Suggestions appreciated!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,406 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coromandel in 1 day

Yes it is insane to try and fit all that in. Well you did ask didn't you?

You say Opotiki/Hicks Bay. Which is it? There is at least a 2 hour drive between the two, a very winding road too.

From Opotiki to Whangamata it is a 4 hour trip, please keep in mind that these roads aren't straight and they pass through many small towns, it could well be a slower trip. What are you wanting to see? If you take the road directly from Opotiki to Auckland, it isn't named the Scenic Highway for nothing, there's plenty to see and plenty of places to stop on the way too. Don't rush it.

The walk into and out of Cathedral Cove(Lonley Bay) is quite steep, will your parents be able to handle this? Yes it's nice but then what if it's raining? No point visiting and driving the extra 3 hrs to see coastline that you would have seen just as good all the way around the cape and along the Bay of Plenty coastline.

Sandy, Utah
Level Contributor
149 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coromandel in 1 day

I'm hoping to get clear through to Opotiki but I might only make it to Hicks Bay.

I'ld have to do the hikes by myself. I figured Lonely Cove, though steep, would be short enough I could do it within my time constraints.

Sounds like the view along Opotiki to Tauranga driving is about the same as from Tauranga up to Hahei so it would be better to be on a Sunday drive rather than Mario Andretti around the cape. That way I can see the Bay of Plenty (no desire to go directly from Opotiki to Auckland as I have a whole day to do that).

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,406 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coromandel in 1 day

Most of the road from Opotiki to Auckland is the Bay of Plenty! It follows the coastline for 2/3rds of the way. What I was meaning is if you take your time, even from Hicks Bay to Auckland(stay overnight in Mt Maunganui) you will see just as much(if not more) than the drive from Waihi(where you turn off to head up the Coromandel) to Hahei. The views of the coast are much more visual, the road hugs the ocean alot more than the Coromandel leg where you're in and out of bush with glimpses of the ocean. There are plenty of lovely beachside settlements and beautiful golden sand beaches that you call at all the way too.

The Cove walkway will be fine for yourself, was thinking of your parents should they attempt it.

4. Re: Coromandel in 1 day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2009, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Coromandel