We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight itinerary

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight itinerary

Hello, we are in Auckland for a few days then plan on a overnight trip to Coromandel. We were going to drive to Hahei beach to take a half day sea kayak of the Cathedral Cove area starting at 1pm We are going to leave Auckland at around 7am to give us plenty of time for the drive. We are going to overnight in Whitianga then the next day drive back to the Auckland Airport but stopping in at Coromandel Town and Thames for lunch. Will we have enough time for this with stops and the drive back? Our flight leaves at 6:35 pm so I'm thinking will have plenty of time to make it to the airport by 4pm. Any suggestions on the route/itinery that I should think about? We are going to stop at various places along the route to sight see (i.e. falls, rapura, etc)

Thanks so much.

Lorio

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight itinerary

Sounds good - you will have busy and very full days, but your itinerary is definitely do-able.

Depending whereabouts in Auckland you are staying and what day of the week is, be aware that traffic can be very heavy around the auckland area at 7am !!

However, leaving at that time is giving plenty of margin for getting to Cathedral Cove by 1pm.

On your last day, I would allow 2 hours to be safe from Thames to Auckland Airport, but it probably will take slightly less.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight itinerary

Thank you - we staying downtown at the Westin and will be departing for Coromandel on a Thursday. Typically, without any stops, how long of a drive is it normally? Thank you so much for your advice.

Lorio

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight itinerary

Make sure the hotel give you good directions for making your way onto the southern motorway. Generally you should be going against most of the traffic, so it might just be getting through Auckland central and the 1st few kms of the motorway that is busy.

Typically it should take you 3.5 hours max to get to Cathedral cove, probably a little less

4. Re: Overnight itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2009, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Coromandel