We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coromandel / Bay of Plenty area - 5 nights ???

Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Coromandel / Bay of Plenty area - 5 nights ???

We are travelling to the North Island in March 2010 and will be spending 18 nights in total and wondering if 5 nights is too long to spend in the Coromandel / Bay of Plenty area ? (To be honest, after all the research I've done, I think I could happily spend 5 weeks in the area !)

Planning on staying one night at Coromandel , two nights at Whitianga and then heading to Tauranga / Mount Maunganui for a night (maybe two ?). Then we will be staying at Whakatane for a night to do the trip to White Island.

Do you think we need the 2 nights at Whitianga, or should we do 1 night at Whitianga and then 2 nights at Tauranga ?

Is it possible to forego the night at Whakatane and stay at Tauranga the night prior to our White Island trip, or do you think that would be too rushed ?

Any advice would be fantastic.

Mentioned in this post
North Island
North Island
New Zealand
Coromandel Peninsula
Coromandel Peninsula
Waikato Region, New Zealand
Bay of Plenty Region
Bay of Plenty Region
North Island, New Zealand
Whitianga
Whitianga
Coromandel Peninsula, New Zealand
Tauranga
Tauranga
Bay of Plenty Region, New Zealand
Mount Maunganui
Mount Maunganui
Tauranga, New Zealand
New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,493 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coromandel / Bay of Plenty area - 5 nights ???

You answered your own question in the first paragraph!

"(To be honest, after all the research I've done, I think I could happily spend 5 weeks in the area !)"- you got it in one!

It's a good amount of time to spend in the area and get a feel for it. There are so many beaches, seaside settlements, bush walks, beautiful scenery etc and you're coming at a great time- long hot sunny still days.

I would do one night at Coromandel Township, 2 nights Whitianga( I prefer Hahei) and 2 nights at the Mount. It's an easy 1.5hr drive to Whakatane in the morning(most do it in just over an hour). having said this though you could stay at Ohope, another great beach settlement if you wanted to be near for your trip in the morning. Don't worry, you won't be disappointed wherever you stay, it's all lovely.

Mentioned in this post
Coromandel Peninsula
Coromandel Peninsula
Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coromandel / Bay of Plenty area - 5 nights ???

Thanks Zappers. I had my itinerary all sorted in August and then the more I read about the Coromandel & The Mount, the longer I want to stay !

What do you think of this.....

7 March - Overnight - Tauranga

8 March - Drive to Whakatane

9.15am - White Island trip

4.00pm - Drive to Rotorua (stay here 3 nights)

Too ambitious ?

Mentioned in this post
Coromandel Peninsula
Coromandel Peninsula
Tauranga
Tauranga
Bay of Plenty Region, New Zealand
Rotorua
Rotorua
Rotorua District, New Zealand
New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,493 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coromandel / Bay of Plenty area - 5 nights ???

I assume that's after you leave the Coromandel? Personally I would stay in or near Whakatane after your White Island excursion. Then you can do a leisurely drive to Rotorua the next morning, it's only 60-70minutes but more so that you can enjoy the drive. It's a lovely scenic route and there are two or three hidden lakes on the way that you can call at.

Hells Gate is also on this road. Maybe you would like to check out Lake Rotoiti and the Kaituna river where the rafts leave from, walk along the river a little and you can watch the rafts come over the Kaituna Falls, the higest comercially rafted falls in the world!. You can visit by turning right just past Hells Gate at the major intersection, Rotoiti is just 3-4kms along the road.

Lots to do before you get to Rotorua!

Mentioned in this post
Rotorua
Rotorua
Rotorua District, New Zealand
4. Re: Coromandel / Bay of Plenty area - 5 nights ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2010, 06:17