We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coromandel peninsula vs Bay of islands

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
77 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Coromandel peninsula vs Bay of islands

One more question were planing on 3 nights on the peninsula and 4 nights on Bay of islands do you think that's the right way around or should we do it the other way around, didn't know if there's more to see on the peninsula than Bay of islands

Many thanks

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,393 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coromandel peninsula vs Bay of islands

I think you've got it the right way round although personally I would reverse it but that's just me I LOVE the Coromandel. The Coromandel is more for chilling and soaking up the beauty. The BOI is more tourist orientated.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
14,248 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coromandel peninsula vs Bay of islands

The Coromandel peninsula is an entire region, whereas the Bay of Islands relates to one confined area of the Northland-Far North region. There's a wide range of natural attractions and outdoor activities up here (Northland) in addition to a visit or stay in the BOI area. Enjoy both regions for their unique values.

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
170 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coromandel peninsula vs Bay of islands

if you had to pick just one?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,393 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coromandel peninsula vs Bay of islands

You're never going to get a straight answer with that one! My two favourite Nth Island regions are the Coromandel and the BOI; I'd choose each for different reasons depending on the length of stay, the time of the year, whether I was relaxing or sightseeing, and whether I was heading north or south of Auckland.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
14,248 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coromandel peninsula vs Bay of islands

Much depends on the types of activiites/advertures you want to enjoy during your visit. Bay of Islands has a lot going on in the immediate area - both marine and land, which is why it's popularity is high. Also, the attractions are available year round, both winter and summer time, including bay cruises to Hole in the Rock, dolphin experiences, day trips to Cape Reinga, historic sights, and theTreaty House & grounds with its sound and light show at Waitangi. The Bay of Islands is considered to be the birthplace of the nation which is also why it has prime historical importance for the country.

Northland, New...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Coromandel peninsula vs Bay of islands

The Bay of islands has got it all - gorgeous coastline, ancient Kauri forests, historically singificant... Be as active or as relaxed as you like. There's plenty of choice whatever your interested in, and along with all of that it's the Birthplace of our Nation. For an insight into NZ's history and culture you need to visit the Bay of Islands.

But whichever you choose have a wonderful time and perhaps you'll come back someday and stay a bit longer.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
133 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coromandel peninsula vs Bay of islands

Planning a 21 day drive around both islands in October and have a couple of days to spend at either Coromandel or BOI. Any suggestions, considering the weather may be quite cool?

Regards

Kellie

8. Re: Coromandel peninsula vs Bay of islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 June 2010, 09:35
palmerston north NZ
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Coromandel peninsula vs Bay of islands

i think you have it the right way around piahia is the main place to go in BOI for tourist type things such s those explained to you by frangipani08 id go for more time in BOI if it were me

10. Re: Coromandel peninsula vs Bay of islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2010, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Coromandel