We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1N Hahei - good start?

Malaysia
Level Contributor
334 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
1N Hahei - good start?

We've got 1N before checking into our timeshare in Rotorua. Thinking of spending in Coromandel area. Will arrive AKL around noon in Dec. Drive to Hahei (stay at Hahei Holiday Resort?). Walk to Catheral Cove and drive to Hot Water Beach.

Next morning check out and drive to Thames for Goldmine experience, museum and explore town. Drive to Rotorua (will stay for 1 week).

Shoud we visit Cormandel town? Any other suggestions?

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
451 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1N Hahei - good start?

We started out trip at Hahei, and really enjoyed the sunshine and warmth. It was a fairly easy 2 1/2 drive from the Auckland airport. It took a lot longer to get to Rotorua (there are no straight roads in NZ, esp. on the Peninsula!), so I would not add Coromandel town, just enjoy the Hahei area. I don't have the link, but I had a tide schedule for Hot Water Beach so I knew when we'd be hitting it (you need to be within two hours each side of low tide for the hot water).

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,582 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1N Hahei - good start?

I would head upt to Coromandle town and take a trip on the Driving Creek railroad. A lot of the comments about narrow twisting roads in NZ are exageration, however NOT on the Coromandle! Take you time and enjoy the view! In Coromandle town, find a cafe where you can eat mussels at an outside table!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1N Hahei - good start?

You're actually doing your travel a little bit back to front. You should do the Goldmine experience on the way to the Coromandel, you will pass through Thames on your drive to Hahei/Hot Water Beach, then you can head down the east side to Waihi and onto Rotorua via Tauranga and Mount Manganui the most scenic route.

You really don't have enough time to visit Coromandel township but if you really want to and are prepared to spend most of the day driving you could drive from Hahei up and over the range(The 309 Road) stop at Coromandel township and then head down the west side of the peninsula to Thames, do the goldmine and then head off to Rotorua, still a good two hours drive away.

Edited: 19 February 2010, 07:43
4. Re: 1N Hahei - good start?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2010, 05:17