We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coromandel and Bay of Plenty in one weekend?

NSW, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
170 reviews
Save Topic
Coromandel and Bay of Plenty in one weekend?

I am working out of Auckland for a few months and plan on spending a few weekends travelling around the local "areas". If I planned on driving to Coromandel on Friday night and then spending Saturday afternoon and Sunday in the Bay of Plenty is this squeezing too much in? Due to limited time I was thinking it might be a possibility, but I don't want to spend the whole weekend in the car!

The 309 Road
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Mercury Bay
Bodies of Water
Coromandel Forest Park
National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas
Kauri Block Track
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Hiking Trails
New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,447 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coromandel and Bay of Plenty in one weekend?

Ideally you should do the two areas on two different weekends, there is so much to see and ir depends on how much of the Coromandel you want to visit and how far along the BOP you want to reach; it's a pretty big bay!

If you do it in one weekend then drive direct across the bottom of the peninsula to Whitianga(2.5hrs) for Friday night and then down to Mt Maunganui(2,5hrs) for Saturday night and back to Auckland Sunday afternoon(2hrs)

If you do it in two weekends, I would head to Whitianga up the west side of the peninsula, saty in Coromandel township and then the next day head over the top on the 309 Road and stay in Whitianga or Hahei on Saturday then back down the east side across the bottom and back to Auckland.

For the BOP head to the Mount for Friday night and onto Ohope or inland to Rotorua(depending on what you want to see) for Saturday. It's then a 3-3.5 hour drive back to Auckland from either place on Sunday.

Pershore
Level Contributor
1 post
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coromandel and Bay of Plenty in one weekend?

Don't try to do too much - the Coromandel is for chilling out! Drive to Whitianga and stay at Driftwood Lodge overlooking Buffalo Beach - we were there a couple of weeks ago - watch the sunrise from your deck and take a dip in the warm sea. Then drive a couple of kms into Whitianga, catch the ferry across the harbour and wander down to Cooks Beach and before having lunch at Eggcentric, a funky/arty restaurant with great food and real character. There are lots of beautiful beaches within easy reach of Whitianga - Cathedral Cove, Flaxmill Bay, and more in the opposite direction going back towards Auckland. Most importantly, take it easy, stop at the little cafes and look at the arts and crafts, and be amazed at the breathtaking views.

NSW, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coromandel and Bay of Plenty in one weekend?

Thanks guys! I have been thinking more that it is too much for one weekend. Will definately split them up, your suggested itineries will get a bit more investigating on my part.

4. Re: Coromandel and Bay of Plenty in one weekend?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2010, 05:20