We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hot Water Beach a good base for Coromandel Peninsula?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hot Water Beach a good base for Coromandel Peninsula?

We will have three or four nights on the Coromandel Peninsula in early May, and have found a self-contained cottage that advertises itself as being 'metres from Hot Water Beach'. Would this be convenient to other sights on the Coromandel (thinking about Driving Creek Railway, Cathedral Cove, Karanagahake Gorge)?

We're not concerned about lack of dining options etc, as we'll be self-catering for the most part and travelling with our young son, but would like to stay somewhere with a lovely view...

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hot Water Beach a good base for Coromandel Peninsula?

The Coromandel is not a large place. If you have the opportunity of a cottage away from everywhere, nice and peaceful, then it sounds like an idealic opportunity for you.

You can do any of the sights as day trips with out difficulty

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hot Water Beach a good base for Coromandel Peninsula?

Hi antipodean,

From memory you will be coming from Auckland and traveling on to Rotorua. Is that right?

If so, rather than head straight to your accommodation and explore from there, I would try to see some of these sights on route.

If it was me, I would leave Auckland and drive up the Western side of the Coromandel Peninsula. The road hugs the coastline and is just beautiful. But it is windy, so do plan for quite a few stops if your toddler gets car sick. From Thames up to Coromandel Township it takes about an hour without stops.

Once in the Coromandel, you can do the Driving Creek Railway and perhaps have a delicious seafood lunch at one of the Coromandel's lovely cafes.

Then drive from here across to your accommodation in Hot Water Beach. You could either follow State Highway 25, or drive across the 209 road to Whitianga. The 209 road would probably take longer because it's unsealed, but it does have some really great places to stop on route such as The Waterworks, Waiau Waterfall Walk (5 min walk) and The Kauri Grove Walk (about 20 minutes return). Note that neither walk is suitable for a buggy, but they're short enough that you can carry a young one.

Once you reach you accommodation, you can then spend a day or two exploring nearby areas such as Cathedral Cove, Hahei and Hot Water Beach. Plus, by staying in the immediate area you will be able to get to Hot Water Beach right on low tide which is the time to be digging a hole.

To get to Rotorua, you can travel down the Eastern side of the Peninsula via Tauranga and perhaps make a quick excursion to Karangahake Gorge on route.

Hope this helps

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hot Water Beach a good base for Coromandel Peninsula?

Sorry, it's the 309 road, not 209. My brain's not quite switched on yet :-)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hot Water Beach a good base for Coromandel Peninsula?

Thanks for the helpful suggestions - now decided we will stay at Hot Water Beach!

OskarNZ, yes we are coming from Auckland and then to Rotorua after. Your suggested itinerary looks excellent - much appreciated.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hot Water Beach a good base for Coromandel Peninsula?

And the 309 is now sealed, still very winding but sealed. Hot Water Beach is a good spot to base yourself but it will still take you a bit to drive anywhere on the peninsula as the roads are mostly narrow and twisting. It will also be nice and quiet and not much traffic as it's mostly locals at that time of the year. And it would be wise to visit Diving Creek on the way up the west side of the peninsula, you won't want to drive back there when there's plenty to do and see on the eastern side.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hot Water Beach a good base for Coromandel Peninsula?

I think that itinerary looks good too! If you want to go via State Highway 25 it takes approx 20 minutes from Coromandel to Kouatunu and then another 20 minutes to Whitianga. There are some beautiful photo opportunities on the way and you could always go back and do the 309 road from your base at Hot Water Beach. Enjoy, it is a beautiful part of the world!

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hot Water Beach a good base for Coromandel Peninsula?

Zappers, I'm so pleased to hear that it's now sealed. :-)

The sealing must have been a very recent addition as I was driving on it only about 1 and a half months ago.

There are great sights to be seen on that road (especially Waterworks which is kiwi ingenuity at it's best) and I'm sure the loose gravel would have put quite a few people off traveling there.

Edited: 19 April 2010, 05:26
New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hot Water Beach a good base for Coromandel Peninsula?

Hmmmm......Oscar, now you have me wondering. I got that info 2nd hand, some friends did a road trip around the peninsula a month or so ago. Maybe they got muddled with SH25 over the top....they're Jafas so you can understand it ;)

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hot Water Beach a good base for Coromandel Peninsula?

Lol. I guess I am technically an Aucklander now since they have roped Franklin district into the Supercity.

You could be right about the 309 road. My husband seems to think he's also heard something recently about it being sealed. Also, admittedly, on my last trip I only drove far enough along the Western side of the road to see Waterworks and the Waiau Waterfall before turning around and driving back the way I came. The Eastern (Whitianga) side may have been sealed months ago.

Antipodean, if you do drive along the 309 road, please come back to Trip Advisor afterwards and tell us what state it's in.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Hot Water Beach a good base for Coromandel Peninsula?

Will do!