We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to see & do on the Coromandel Peninsula

north wales uk
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
What to see & do on the Coromandel Peninsula

I have 5 nights booked on the Peninsula & would appreciate any suggestions on places to see & things to do. Staying towards the Thames area on the Hauraki coastline with rental car. Looking for a mix of chill out, walking, cycling, poss horse riding. I am fairly physically fit & quite like being active but at the same time dont want to be rushing around like a headless chicken . Looking for a mix of chill out & activity really. Can anybody help!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,780 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to see & do on the Coromandel Peninsula

Well lismor19 you have probably picked the perfect spot for that sort of thing. Others will have more detail than me but the "must not miss" list has Hotwater Beach and the Driving Creek Railway on it.

Brisbane Qld
Level Contributor
212 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to see & do on the Coromandel Peninsula

my suggestions would be

Hotwater Beach, Cathedral Cove walk,

http://www.goldmine-experience.co.nz/

the Karangahake Gorge Historic Walkway follows the old railway line between Paeroa and Waihi

all these are less than 1 hours drove from Thames

I would also suggest to round trip drive from Thames to the town of Coromandel and then down to Cathedral Cove and then back to Thames as the road hugs the coastline most of the way and you can experience some great scenery along the way.

north wales uk
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What to see & do on the Coromandel Peninsula

Thank yoy NZMike57 for your suggestions will definitely check out railway & Hotwater Beach sound intriguing, so will probably count that in too.

Craftywesal thank s for your walking ideas, just the sort of info I need.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to see & do on the Coromandel Peninsula

It's great that you'll be spending a bit of time on the peninsula but be warned that you'll have to do quite a bit of driving to see alot of the popular places and that most of this driving is on narrow, hilly and winding roads. Don't try to cover to much in a day as you'll find you'll spend most of the time in the car. Unfortunately most of the action is on the east coast of the peninsula and half the way up and you'll be on the west side and low down. Whitianga, Hahei, Hot Water Beach are where most of the tours are and leave from- you'll be best to do this area as a day trip and allow all day.

Karangahake Gorge is, as mentioned, a great place to visit too.

tour.thepeninsula.co.nz/karangahake.htm

http://www.thecoromandel.com/mercurybay.html

http://www.hahei-newzealand.co.nz/

north wales uk
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What to see & do on the Coromandel Peninsula

Thanks Zappa for your practical advice, I did consider staying on the east side but quite liked the idea of being able to get away from the busy areas. I've been warned that this area is very popular with New Zealanders & especially so in January so I figured to find a quiet place to stay that will still enable me to see the best the Coromandel has to offer. Thanks for the warning about windy roads, I'll make sure to give myself plenty of time to reach my destination.

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to see & do on the Coromandel Peninsula

Hi lismor. I've always thought I'd like to do this walk (which I think is ranked way up there by world standards, pretty sure I read that somewhere) but am concerned that I'd collapse with exhaustion half way around and be the person they have to get Westpak (rescue helicopter) in to save! Just kidding, I'm probably just lazy lol. Here's the link:

coromandeldiscovery.co.nz/Coromandel_Discove…

They do other tours as well which you might be interested in. Be careful driving, the road up the coast is winding and narrow and the locals (who are of course used to it) are confident and quick as opposed to us casual visitors who are driving carefully and more slowly and are probably distracted by the pretty scenery (which, btw, is much nicer if you are traveling when the tide is relatively high). Are you going in January? If so be prepared for delays, this is school holiday time here in NZ (also know as "the time when New Zealanders abondon the cities to recreate city populations on our coastlines instead"). Actually I just made that up but it's what I've long thought. On the upside you should get some lovely weather, take and apply plenty of sunsceen, NZ has very strong sun. If you're traveling up from Thames to Coromandel town I can highly recommend a short stop at Waiomu Beach Cafe for good coffee and their banana icecream is yum! Apply mozzie repellent prior to wandering over the road to the pretty little park or you'll be intching for the next few days (sandflies who know a non local when they taste one!). Watch out for the tuis (native birds with a white 'pouch' on their throats), for some reason the seemed to display some rather odd behaviour in this little park. Possibly they were slightly 'drunk' from some of the local nectar trees at the time we were there last year. ;-)

Whatever you do have a great holiday, Coromandel is a lovely area with plenty of activities to choose from but is also a great place to just kick back and enjoy some sun, sand and relaxation.

7. Re: What to see & do on the Coromandel Peninsula

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2011, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Coromandel