We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whitianga or Hahei

Bedminster, NJ
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Whitianga or Hahei

My husband and I will be driving from Auckland up the coast to Coromandel town and then to the east side. We want to explore Cathedral Cove and Hot Water Beach. I understand the ferry from Whitiganga is only for passengers. Would it be better to stay in Whitianga or drive a little further to stay in Hahei. I think I would like to stay 2 nights.

Your comments?

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
Hot Water Beach
Hot Water Beach
Coromandel Peninsula, New Zealand
Whitianga
Whitianga
Hahei
Hahei
The 309 Road
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Coromandel Forest Park
National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas
Mercury Bay
Bodies of Water
Kauri Block Track
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Hiking Trails
brisbane
Level Contributor
183 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whitianga or Hahei

It really depends on whether you wish to stay in a town with amenities (shops, supermarkets, tourist activities etc) or a village that is more isolated. Whitianga has many more accommodation options than Hahei and the i site at Whitianga is great. There are several small boat tours from Whitianga that run past Cathederal Cove and I believe one or two out of Hahei. Both places are beautiful and you will definitely need at least two nights to explore the area.

Mentioned in this post
Whitianga
Whitianga
Hahei
Hahei
New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,485 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whitianga or Hahei

In your case I would stay in Hahei, you're only going to have one full day to explore the area and that can be taken up with Catherdral Cove & Hot Water Beach. It saves double tracking if you're visiting there anyway and staying in Whitianga and it's also a good position to leave the Coromandel as you head south to Waihi. If you're wanting to explore Whitianga a little it's just as easy to drive to the wharf, take the passenger ferry across the river and walk around Whitianga township, it's an easy stroll, you could even have dinner over that side, catch the ferry back and then it's just a short drive home. A word of caution though check the time of the last ferry at night, over the summer they are quite late but don't get caught otherwise that pumpkin ride around to the other side will be very expensive.

Whitianga is nice but the best beaches are on the ocena side and further out in Mercury Bay. Hahei is a true laid back Kiwi beach experience and it's an absoulutely beautiful spot.

Edited: 31 October 2010, 02:38
Mentioned in this post
Hahei
Hahei
Whitianga
Whitianga
Mercury Bay
Mercury Bay
57 Reviews
Coromandel, New Zealand
Bedminster, NJ
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whitianga or Hahei

Thanks Zappers and Rabbit59. I appreciate your comments. Yes, looking to stay at Hahei. :-)

Mentioned in this post
Hahei
Hahei
4. Re: Whitianga or Hahei

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2011, 06:16