We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hahei Christmas 2010 - Places to Eat

Which Coromandel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
Hahei Christmas 2010 - Places to Eat

Are there any restaurants/cafes which will be open on Christmas Eve / Christmas Day in Hahei? Can someone recommend somewhere suitable for a family with 2 kids (6 and 8 yrs old)? Thanks very much.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,292 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hahei Christmas 2010 - Places to Eat

The Church is about your best bet, I'm not sure if they will be open. Hahei is a very small beach settlement and other than The Church only has a couple of cafes that I'm aware of. Whitianga is the closest for a selection of restuarants, you are best to drive to the wharf and catch the passenger ferry across if you decide to go to Whitianga. Also, you will need to book.

Sydney, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hahei Christmas 2010 - Places to Eat

Thanks very much for your advice. Will try Whitianga. How far is Whitianga from Hahei and do you know how often the ferry runs?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,292 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hahei Christmas 2010 - Places to Eat

The long way round by car about 3/4hr, if you look at a map you'll see there is a large inland river/estuary/waterway hence the need for the passenger ferry. The ferry is a small boat carrying holiday makers & locals back and forth across the river outlet into Mercury Bay, there are many beautiful beaches on the Hahei side of the inlet and lots of holiday baches and homes. To drive to the ferry from Hahei about 5-10mins. Here's the website, it runs continously over the summer until the late evening and into the small hours if there are passengers. Just ask when you board what time they think the last sailing will be. It's a very short stroll from the wharf at Whitianga to lots of lovely restaurants both on the main street and on the roads around the waterfront.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,292 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hahei Christmas 2010 - Places to Eat

Oops, forgot the website-

http://www.whitianga.co.nz/ferry.html

Actually here is another website, over summer it says the ferry runs until 11pm. I've known it to run later but I guess you can't guarantee that.

Edited: 25 November 2010, 22:24
New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,292 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hahei Christmas 2010 - Places to Eat

And then I forgot that site! One of those days.

http://www.whitiangaferry.co.nz/

6. Re: Hahei Christmas 2010 - Places to Eat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2011, 06:40