We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thames coast road

Texas
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Thames coast road

I stayed in south Auckland for a few days last week. Hotel owner recommended a day trip to Coromandel. One excellent drive I found is the Thames coast road- roughly a 1hr drive between Thames and Coromandel. It is a scenic drive as most of the experts on this forum already know. What makes it a world class drive to me that day, is that it was a sunny day, and it was at high tide when I drove up north. Because part of the road is practically next to the ocean, ocean waves kept pounding on the shore and splash water on the windshield of my car. We are talking about the kind of splash that I had to scramble to turn on the wipers to the max. Of course you get less of this if you are driving south, or when it is not at high tide. Still, you get to enjoy the scenery and see the road wet.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thames coast road

Hi - we drive this road every couple of weeks - both ways - and have never had this happen to us!! You must have experienced it after a storm or something. On a sunny day that drive is beautiful and at Christmas time all the trees that line that road are red with Pohutakawa flowers. A lot of people are put off this road because it is narrow and winding but in our experience this makes it safer because people naturally take more care. More accidents happen on the fast, straight roads where people lose concentration.

Glad you enjoyed it :)

UK
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thames coast road

I agree that it is a pretty route but the logging trucks really scare me. They drive so fast and meeting one of them on a bend or having them tailgate you is not a pleasant experience.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thames coast road

Just a reminder on this road - there are plenty of places to pull over to the left and left traffic pass. We drive a powerful Holden and even we pull over sometimes if we feel that the car behind is in a hurry. Yes, those logging trucks are huge but as long as you stick to the left you are fine. I don't think we've ever met one on a corner. More of a worry lately has been the slips on the roads - lots of rain means soil and rocks drop to the road. Hope I'm not putting anyone off here!! :)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thames coast road

Reeeally windy road. Too busy concentrating on the road to appreciate the great views. Can't remember how many times we had to give way cos we drive soooo slow. Those huge trucks add the stress! The road between Masterton n Wellington is equally windy n scarier n high up the hill. Don't think I want to drive there again.

Texas
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thames coast road

Absolutely agree w the log truck annoyance. Can't believe they allow them on this road. I mean, isn't part of the road a one lane bridge?

cheshire
Level Contributor
380 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thames coast road

Really worthwhile read! Well done all. Just posted my own question before reading this! Picking up on Raras2u's point are the pull in points for practical driving reasons or viewpoints? I suspect the former so then are there set aside viewpoints and are they well signed?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thames coast road

we pulled thru' to the side quite often as we drove like a tortoise. There are view points along the way n they are sign posted. No worries. Its a looooong n windy coast, u will get lots of opportunities to appreciate those views.

cheshire
Level Contributor
380 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thames coast road

Thanks raras

9. Re: Thames coast road

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 05:16