We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will this give us the flavour of Coromandel Peninsula?

Which Coromandel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
cheshire
Level Contributor
380 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Will this give us the flavour of Coromandel Peninsula?

Only got two nights at Whitianga. We're coming in from Auckland and plan spending an afternoon around the Thames area, although could carry on up to Coromandel. If not our next day would go Coromandel or beaches north of Whitianga, Rapauro Gardens and Hot Water beach area. Fear Cathedral Cove walk us just too much given asthma difficulties. Would we get more out of a boat trip from Whitianga to CC etc? Any other comments welcome.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will this give us the flavour of Coromandel Peninsula?

If you can fit it in try to visit the Driving Creek Railway in Coromandel Township. www.drivingcreekrailway.co.nz Just so unique. Depending on when you are here maybe you will have to book the ride.

cheshire
Level Contributor
380 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will this give us the flavour of Coromandel Peninsula?

Thanks Calicolodge, we're there over the second weekend February so booking could be a necessity. I'd sort of got it on our radar, but a lot will depend on how much we get done on the way in. Might it be more sensible to aim for Rapauro after Thames and then carry on over the peninsula to Whitianga, giving us a long morning in Corocmandel on the Sunday? That said will Coromandel close up Sundays? I hadn't thought about that in NZ generally.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,697 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will this give us the flavour of Coromandel Peninsula?

Hi, I have done a boat trip out of Whitianga

Whilst Cathedral Cove gets the headlines, there is so much more than this to see along the coastline

We went with this tour but there are lots of others

whitianga-adventures.co.nz/sea_cave_adventur…

put this on because of the great photos

I can recommend this skipper for his knowledge and enthusiasm and being very safety conscious but I must stress there are lots of others.

The boat is quite small, whih is a great advantage in my view, very stable and the day we went the weather was overcast , drizzly, but that didn't detract from the overall experience. We are both in our sixties and managed this no problem. One of the highlights of our trip.

You will see Cathedral Cove from close up without the hike plus you will., because the boat is so manoeuvrable , get right into some of the other caves. Try to book a boat with forward facing seats so that you get a great view. Some boats have you sitting facing inwards along the side of the boat.

We had very thin unobtrusive life jackets that were not as cumbersome as some and warm waterproof ish blankets over our knees.

I believe that this is a great way to enjoy this spectacular coastline

4. Re: Will this give us the flavour of Coromandel Peninsula?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2013, 05:15