We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental in Coromandel with dropoff at Napier airport?

Which Coromandel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Luxembourg
Level Contributor
35 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental in Coromandel with dropoff at Napier airport?

Hi,

we will be touring the North Island starting with Waiheke and the Coromandel Peninsula. I would like to rent a car (intermediate) at Coromandel township starting on FEB 25 or 26 and to drop it off on March 2nd at Napier airport. Unfortunately I have not found any rental company who would accept such a deal, as they pretend that costs for returning the car to Coromandel would be too high.

Any help greatly appreciated !!

Yves

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,235 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental in Coromandel with dropoff at Napier airport?

I don't think "pretend" is the right expression. Yes the costs would be enormous as the car company would have to hire a driver to drive the car back to Coromandel. This would not be a route where a free relocation would be likely. How are you planning to get to Coromandel? Why don't you pick up a car in AKL?

Napier, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental in Coromandel with dropoff at Napier airport?

Hi Yves one way hires mean either the company have to hire that car to someone else to return it to the starting point or the pay someone to go down and get it, with the bigger companies there is more chance of them re hireing,

you could try Pegasus,or Metro rentals as I know the both have businesses here in Napier which "May' make a one way hire cheaper for you,

cheers john

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,091 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental in Coromandel with dropoff at Napier airport?

Hi Yves,

Are you planning to catch a ferry from Auckland to Waiheke, then continuing on to Coromandel on the 360 ferry?

I'm just wondering if it would be an idea to tour around Coromandel using a rental car (recently a poster identified a vehicle-hire company in Coromandel township),or seeing Coromandel with a tour company, then travelling by public transport to a city including Tauranga, Hamilton or Rotorua and hiring a car on a one-way rental from there? Smaller hire companies dont have the staff, the volume of customers, or branch network support to provide for an easy return of their own fleet vehicles.

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
35 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental in Coromandel with dropoff at Napier airport?

Thanks for your helpful remarks. "pretend" was not the right word, please read "argue" instead. Frangipane was absolutely right: we wanted to take the ferry from Auckland to Waiheke and then the 360 to Coromandel township. Weill try my luck with the companies mentioned by joker 4147

5. Re: Car rental in Coromandel with dropoff at Napier airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2013, 10:23