We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thames or coromandel?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
21 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Thames or coromandel?

Going to drive from auckland to hot water beach and looking to stay a night in either thames or coromandel before hitting whitianga and hot water beach. Which one would you guys recommend?

Any good food to stop for along the way?

The 309 Road
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Coromandel Forest Park
National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas
Mercury Bay
Bodies of Water
Kauri Block Track
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Hiking Trails
Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thames or coromandel?

By Coromandel, do you mean the Coromandel township?

I would pick the Coromandel township over Thames. You can do the driving creek railway and then the next day you can drive to Whitianga via the unsealed 309 road. Make sure you stop at The Waterworks.

I presume, however, that you won't be making this drive straight after a flight from Singapore. You'll need a night in the Auckland area first to get over the jet-lag.

Mentioned in this post
Thames
Thames
Coromandel Peninsula, New Zealand
Whitianga
Whitianga
The Waterworks
The Waterworks
492 Reviews
Coromandel, New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
Auckland
Level Contributor
493 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thames or coromandel?

I prefer Coromandel Township to Thames, mostly because it is so quaint. The Pepper Tree restaurant on the main road has very nice food and a great outdoor dining area.

Mentioned in this post
Thames
Thames
Auckland
Level Contributor
493 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thames or coromandel?

The Coromandel Town website has heaps of information http://www.coromandeltown.co.nz/index.html

UK
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thames or coromandel?

I would agree with the above although small, Coromandel Town is the nicer of the two in my opinion and as mentioned above is well situated for the 309 road through to the east coast.

Just remember the tides at hot water beach tides varies as well each day so it might be an early start!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
21 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thames or coromandel?

Thank you, everyone, for your valuable input! So Coromandel it is!

OskarNZ, thanks for your concern. No, i wont be driving staright off the plane. Will actually be in akl and up north for a couple of weeks before heading to coromandel.

new zealand
Level Contributor
121 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thames or coromandel?

have a look at this web site it has lots of good info & tide times.http://www.whitianga.co.nz/

be wary of the 309 road, there is an alternative sealed road just on the southern end of coromandel township ( only a 40 min drive to whitianga from there ) & at the top it gives you views of both sides of the coromandel. the 309 road is further south from coromandel town & unsealed.

7. Re: Thames or coromandel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 July 2013, 06:15