We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary res for return to south of Auckland

Which Coromandel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
k h
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
itinerary res for return to south of Auckland

Hi,

I have booked many days to tour all of Coromandel Penn. The question now is what to do with 2 days before going to Clevedon area where I have a few days to explore.

The area I thought I'd stay within is south of Bombay-Waihi, north of Tauanga-Hamilton, and west of Waihi - Tauranga (to west coast). I have not been to any of this area. (Karangahake Gorge already on itinerary). I appreciate quaint villages, great scenery, coastal views, etc. I understand Raglan is really great, but are there other suggestions of places in-between? I plan future trips to drive south from Auckland, so I am not sure it is the best use of time to go to Raglan this trip.

Thanks for your time.

Thanks.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
78 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: itinerary res for return to south of Auckland

Not sure how much travelling you want to do but suggestions would include

Te Aroha town. Quant village with nice hotpools and good walking tracks ( the climb to the top of mountain is good but long)

Matamata. Not a tourist town as such but has Hobbiton and

Kaimai cheese factory and cafe (http://www.kaimai.co.nz/cafe.aspx) Good cheese.

Drive from there over the Kaimai ranges for good views of Waikato and Bay of Plenty. Towards the summit on Waikato side there is a parking area with good views. About 500m further up there is another parking area. Across the road is a natural spring with amazing cold fresh water.

Mount Maunganui is a tourist "hotspot" Nice beaches, some good cafes and a big hill to walk up.

There is Mills Reef winery just out of Tauranga (http://www.millsreef.co.nz/

and Morton Estate a bit further up ( http://www.mortonestatewines.co.nz/ )

Katakati is another small town in the area that everyone goes past. Nice murals, some good cafes and river walks.

If you have time drive down there via Kawakawa and Miranda ( More hotpools)

other suggestions. Piha and Karekare Beaches, Glow worm caves, Waihi Beach, Waihi, Pearoa, Ngatea Water gardens, Otorohonga kiwi park, Rotorua and thermal areas

Be warned. School holidays are late December - Early Feb and the coro roads get busy

k h
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: itinerary res for return to south of Auckland

thanks, kiwitripper64---lots of great ideas

Waihi to Paeroa to Te Aroha to_____? I'd rather not go south on hwy 27 toward Matamata since it takes me further from Auckland, and the roads could be busy in January with the summer school holidays . Do you have any recs in the area going north on hwy 27 thru Patetonga or taking one of the roads off of hwy 27 that go west?

or should I take hwy 2 from Waihi to Paerea to Te Aroha and back to Paeroa and continue on hwy 2 to the west coast?

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
78 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: itinerary res for return to south of Auckland

Not really sure what you are after.

Where are you going to stay? How long for? When do you need to be back to Auckland.? Are you planning to drive straight to the airport or into Auck city?

I dont know of a lot more to do in this area. Cambridge and Hamilton are ok.

The roads will be busy, but only in comparison to our normal traffic volume. You should be able to get around the area at close to the posted speed limits of 100km/hr open road down to 50 in residential areas. The motorway into Auckland can be busy in the holidays but mainly on the way out on Friday afternoons ( people leaving for holidays) and on the way home Sun aftenoon

The worst section is SH 2 around Maramarua to SH1

A scenic alternative is take the Front Miranda rd to East Coast Rd to Kawakawa, Clevedon and if you have some spare time pop into the Auckland Regional Botanic gardens at Totara Heights.

But driving around the Waikato / BOP should be fine

k h
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: itinerary res for return to south of Auckland

Hi,

Thank you.

I like your idea of the scenic route Front Miranda rd to East Coast Rd to Kawakawa, Clevedon. I can take that route getting to Coromandel Penn, or on way back to Auckland area (Clevedon), or take the route sometime during my stay in CLevedon.

I was hoping there was a really great place to stay a couple days in that northern section of Waikato, about 1 to 1.5hr from Waihi Beach and 1 to 1.5 hour from Clevedon---just looking at the amount of driving involved. I'd rather be tramping or doing something fun instead of being in the car driving. I don't need to spend both nights in the same place. I have been to Auckland, so would rather spend the time in the south of Auckland area. I hope this answers your question.

5. Re: itinerary res for return to south of Auckland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 18:36
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
78 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: itinerary res for return to south of Auckland

Ta Aroha

7. Re: itinerary res for return to south of Auckland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2013, 10:16