We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mount Cook during March

singapore
Level Contributor
342 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mount Cook during March

Hie

My family will be staying Mount Cook for 2 nights in late March 2014.

What kinda weather should I be expecting during that period of year ?

Will the mountains be snow-capped during period of time ?

Thanks

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
74 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mount Cook during March

Hi, Mt Cook is snow capped all year round, some of the other smaller mountains should have a small amount of snow on them by this time of year. Late March 2014 will be heading into Spring, but is reasonably settled. As at any time of the year in NZ, weather can come and go and change in 5 mins - especially in these mountain periods.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mount Cook during March

#1 You mean late March will be heading into AUTUMN. Autumn - especially in March - generally sees quite settled weather. It is still warm during the day, but getting much cooler at night. Having said that, weather close to the mountains is always unpredictable and changeable - as has already been said.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
32 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mount Cook during March

I'm just getting starting on planning an RV trip of the North and South Islands for next year, so please pardon how uninformed my question is. When people talk about visiting Aoraki Mt. Cook, where is the actual destination? We won't be hiking, so we are interested in great scenic views of the mountain and surrounding environment. Do you go to Lake Tekapo to see the mountain or take another route to get closer?

Also, is Mt. Cook visible from the western route (NZ6)? Or is everything for the national park accessed from eastern route (NZ8)?

Thanks for your help.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,642 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mount Cook during March

Mount Cook Village - a 90 minute drive fromTekapo http://maps.aa.co.nz/nz/canterbury/mount+cook/mount+cook/x=2276531.6900000000;y=5715041.5500000000

yes you can see Aoraki/mt Cook from the West Coast, but totally more stunning from up close - or across Lake Pukaki http://www.mtcooknz.com/

Blenheim, New...
Level Contributor
877 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mount Cook during March

Unless you are a hardcore mountaineer then everything in Mount Cook National Park is accessed from the eastern side. But like WLnz said the views can be great from the Westcoast.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
36,394 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mount Cook during March

For an idea of the view of Mt Cook from the West Coast google Lake Matheson. I believe that Capt Cook actually spotted Mts Cook & Tasman from out at sea off the West Coast.

The place you stay to enjoy Aoraki/Mt Cook NP is called Mt cook Village - has lovely easy walks, good accommodation in a range of prices from camping sites for $10 up to 4 star hotel.

Activities include a boat ride to view icebergs up close as well as skiplane & hell-flights over the glaciers.

California
Level Contributor
9,142 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mount Cook during March

There are a few places on the West Coast where you are at the right angle to see Mount Cook, Lake Matheson is one of them. Here's our picture, although the peaks are in clouds:

www.fmsphotos.com/Travel/2012NZ/i-wv9tq69/A

When in Mount Cook village, you are in the mountains and there are many views of Mount Cook from several tracks in the area. You can even have a Mount Cook view from your room at the Hermitage.

View from Hooker Valley track:

fmsphotos.com/Travel/…A

View from Kea Point track:

fmsphotos.com/Travel/…A

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
36,394 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mount Cook during March

Fabulous photos, DeS. Thanks for sharing them.

Blenheim, New...
Level Contributor
877 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mount Cook during March

This is a photo I took from Okariko, can see several snow capped mountains but uncertain on their exact nanes. One of them might be Mount Cook, but they are certainly in the same area as cook.

https://flic.kr/p/jU8tXY

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,642 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mount Cook during March

Lovely pics DeS and TW :)