We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pisa Airport to Barga by road

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Pisa Airport to Barga by road

Having just looked at the information that was given on how to get to Barga by public transport may I pleae ask can anyone help me on traveling to Barga by road? My wife and I arrive in Pisa on Saturday 1st Sept. and we have a villa booked for a week in Barga. Due to the fact that my wife suffers from travel sickness unless she is driving it will be up to me to do the map reading ( no comment from lady readers please!!!!) I do have, obviously, a large road map, my greatest concern is getting onto the right road out of Pisa airport onto the autostrada (I think) My reading of Italian road signs is VERY limited so can anybdy out there please help in giving me some very BASIC instructions to get me out of the airport from the car hire pick up point and onto the road I need to get to Barga via Lucca. The sort of thing I am looking for is what road signs to look out for and any other tips that anyone might feel would be helpful to me. Very many thanks in anticipation of replies that hopefully will be posted.

Mentioned in this post
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
da Aristo
£, Italian, Mediterranean, Wine Bar
Scacciaguai
££ - £££, Italian, Mediterranean
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
95,568 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pisa Airport to Barga by road

You don't need Italian to be able to follow road direction signs in Italy, but the system is different from the UK. With the exception of autostrade, road numbers are seldom shown. Instead, the signs show the places that a road leads to.

There is no autostrada heading from Pisa airport towards Lucca and Barga. There is only one exit from Pisa airport, so take it and then just follow signs for Lucca and then for Barga and Castelnuovo.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Suffolk
Destination Expert
for Lucca
Level Contributor
433 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pisa Airport to Barga by road

Firstly you need to reach Lucca, there are two ways- via the Autostrada, the A12 then A11 (the change is seamless) when you leave the airport you would need the green autostrada direction signs for FIrenze if you use this route. The other way is the via the SS12 going through San Giuliano Terme. Both routes arrive on the outskirts of Lucca at the same point. When you pass over the railway the road drops down with the walls in front of you, you can of course go either way as its a circle so don't panic, the easiest is right, towards the stazione, carry on past, following Castelnouvo di Garfagnana signs. Through Borgo a Mozzano you will eventually turn right for Barga, the road is good all the way, a few tight turns as you approach Barga itself is all. Basically heading out to Barga take whatever signs you follow/pick up easily green for Autostrada to Firenze or blue for Lucca. Returning to the airport you should find the autostrada route much much easier.

Mentioned in this post
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Autostrada
Autostrada
1 Review
Florence, Italy
3. Re: Pisa Airport to Barga by road

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2015, 08:15