We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gouves - Day Trips

Stoke-on-Trent...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Gouves - Day Trips

We are staying at the Blue Aegean Apartments in August this year and will have 3 teenagers with us. Can anyone recommend any day trips and the best places to book them as I find the ones through tour operators always cost more.. This is our first time to Crete and we usually have a week relaxing and a week of trips, and we will have to do a waterpark

thanks

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gouves - Day Trips

It all depends on what your teenagers like doing, or what you can persuadfe them to do!!

The waterpark is a good idea and not too far from you. Why not get the bus along to Agious Nicholaos, change bus for the short ride to Elounda, and take the ferry to the former leper coloney of Spinalonga. You could spend the day looking arounf Agious, Elounda and the Island, without it costing a fortune.

Heraklion is also a great place to visit especially on market day, I think saturdays, when it is really busy, teenagers would love all the different food stalls.

Durham
Level Contributor
168 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gouves - Day Trips

Hiya, we stayed in Gouves last year and are returning this summer too, we usually stay a couple of miles long the coast in Analipsi but we have sarted taking our 2 young children and their is more choice of accom in Gouves, i agree with the first reply regarding what your kids enjoy doing. Gouves does not have a great deal of 'Cretan' culture but it certainly serves its purpose as a small 'ish' holiday resort, there are plenty of Cretan style tavernas around the front, there is also a small 'strip' where there are a few 'english' style bars but without being like'benidorm' lol....it is certainly a pleasant place to stay , as the previous post suggested take a trip to Heraklion, it is a fantastic vibrant small city, the bus stop is around 15 mins walk from Gouves up to the national road, i do drive when i'm in Crete, however i don't attempt Heraklion lol, if the kids want a resort a little busier then head for Hersonnisoss, about 10 miles along the coast and a little further from there is Sissi, a gorgeous small resort with a small harbour. We also tend to usually hire a small car to drive over to the south of the island and visit some of the mountain villages on the way to southern coast, the seaside villages on the south are quiet in comparison to the northern coast, a little more traditional cretan too. Visit Viannos in the mountains for a real coffee !.....enjoy !

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,375 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gouves - Day Trips

Hi there

Here is a link to the local bus timetable which you might find useful

cretetravel.com/Bus_schedules/Agios_Nikolaos…

stoke on trent
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Gouves - Day Trips

Is it possible to catch a bus from gouves to elounda

Birmingham
Level Contributor
305 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gouves - Day Trips

You can get a bus down to Agios Nicolaos then get a taxi to Elounda but it is a long journey of approx 1 hour by bus

Birmingham
Level Contributor
305 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gouves - Day Trips

Your teenagers would probably like Hersonissos, especially in the evening as there are bars in the harbour that are lively and you can sit outside and people watch.

Newport, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gouves - Day Trips

Thanks for the useful info. Who do you hire your car from? I'm going to Gouves in September

Durham
Level Contributor
168 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gouves - Day Trips

We hired our car last year from a small office along the front in Gouves, we got a small fiat, it was all needed, i think it was 35, year before we got a jeep for 40

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,679 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gouves - Day Trips

Trip along to Sissi which is a nice litle resort/fishing village not that far away, nice swimming & snorkling in the harbour.

Stop car rental I have used a number of times, good cars even better price. They will deliver to airport or hotel email dimikopidakis@yahoo.gr

10. Re: Gouves - Day Trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 04:18
Get answers to your questions about Kato Gouves
Recent Conversations