We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What has the weather been like the past week ?

Which Kato Gouves hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
What has the weather been like the past week ?

Anyone in Gouves at the moment ?? What has the weather been like for the past 7-10 days please ???

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What has the weather been like the past week ?

Hi there

We got back from Anissaras which is just 4 kms from Gouves 6 days ago and the weather was dry, warm and sunny, around 30C. Sea temperature about 25C.

Redcar Cleveland
Level Contributor
3 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What has the weather been like the past week ?

On the 16th Sept around 9.30pm a massive thunderstorm which took everyone by surprise. But that was the worst we had.

Otherwise it was sunny every day - temp in high 20's to low 30's. Night temp still low 20's. Steady breeze if adjacent to the sea, but a couple of hundred yards inland and the breeze dropped.

Best advice, get a spare key card from your hotel reception and keep the air-con on all day.

There's not an awful lot to do in Gouves itself so you probably will spend time round your pool or on the small beaches. Hire of 2x sunbeds and 1x umbrella approx. 5 to 6 Euros per day.

Enjoy your stay - the locals say they had bad weather during June and this is making up for it.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What has the weather been like the past week ?

With all due respect, even if the hotel will allow you to have a spare key card, it's very wasteful ( and costly for the hotel) to leave aircon on all day. Even if you come back to a hot room, switching the aircon on then will cool the room down within a couple of minutes

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,501 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What has the weather been like the past week ?

<<if the hotel will allow you to have a spare key card>>

Good luck with that one! I think it's very unlikely that the hotel will give you an extra one, for that very reason.

I've dreamt about going to places with a card instead of a key.....lol

Edited: 20 September 2013, 13:57
Redcar Cleveland
Level Contributor
3 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What has the weather been like the past week ?

Obviously different hotels have different policies.

Our hotel had absolutely no hesitation in issuing a second card, and EVERY guest we spoke to during our stay did the same thing, one card in the slot, the other card with the guest.

Some guests even used store loyalty cards in the slot to ensure their rooms were cool on return.

If the hotel had objected to the practice, surely the cleaning staff could have reported the fact that cards were left in the electricity/air-con slot. Not the case in our hotel (The Island, Gouves)

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,501 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What has the weather been like the past week ?

Fair enough, I think the Island is the exception, as it is of course an upmarket hotel and not the typical basic Greek type of place.

Most places that I frequent have a fob which is on a welded keyring with the key (so you can't take it off) and I presume there must be either a magnet or something more sophisticated in the fob. Certainly they do have magnets, which attract all the 5c 2c and 1c you may have in your pocket!!

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What has the weather been like the past week ?

Why would you want to do this?

When you return to your hotel room & switch on the air-con it takes approx. 1 minute before you will feel the benefit.

Is it really worth the terrible waste of energy & the cost: financial & to the environment for leaving it switched on for many hours unused?

Coventry
Level Contributor
2 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What has the weather been like the past week ?

I totally agree how selfish it is to do this, wasting energy & the cost to both the environment and the hotel.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,475 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What has the weather been like the past week ?

And I. Keeping the air conditioning on all day is expensive, therefore unfair to the hotel owners (however posh the hotel) and incredibly wasteful of energy. Would you do that in your own home? Have a little thought for others, and for the environment. Two weeks ago, on the south west coast, with temperatures consistently in the mid and high 30s, I turned the air conditioning on when I returned to my room, and within a couple of minutes it had cooled down.

Edited: 25 September 2013, 12:22
Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
4,503 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What has the weather been like the past week ?

I am appalled and deeply depressed that people are so ignorant of the environmental cost of wasting energy in this way. There has been a lot of media coverage this week about man made climate change -Himalayan glaciers that supply millions of people in India with water are melting, the polar ice caps are disappearing so polar bears are on the way to extinction, extreme weather events are increasingly occurring all over the world - still never mind, you don't want to wait 5 minutes for your room to cool down!

Get answers to your questions about Kato Gouves
Recent Conversations