We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sweet memory 1

Saltcoats, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Sweet memory 1

Hi, just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what is near to these apartments ie. bars/shops/restraunts? And how far they are and roughly where they are? I'm a bit of a panic merchant :)

Thanks in advance!

Jeefsafari Experience - Roger Rambo
Walking Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Climbing Tours, Private Tours
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,234 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sweet memory 1

Hi Hayley and welcome.

Sweet Memory 1 is, I think, here:

http://tinyurl.com/lmc4qps

Sweet memory II, where the pool is, is here:

http://tinyurl.com/n597zmm

according to Google Maps. Locations sound right from the reviews, but many places are incorrectly located on Google maps...

Just looking at SM 1, it's on the seafront but there is no beach there - but walk 5 minutes to the right, past the small chapel and a rocky cove, then there are 2 decent sandy coves. Go left and walk a bit further and you'll come to a fairly large beach which starts near the 2 harbours and carries on.

Restaurants - go right, turn right at the chapel and about 100m on the right you will find Philipos taverna, he's a great guy and it's a great place, and only 5 mins walk if that. Carry on past the2 sandy beaches and turn inland, you will see Skorpios, again highly recommended. There are also other places you pass on the way there, and if you carry on up that road to the right of Skorpios, there are lots of tavernas up there.

There aren't too many bars in Gouves, but there is one whose name escapes me near the chapel, and I believe one which used to be called Anfield has re-located somewhere down there as well. There are also a couple of bars which serve snacks by the first of the 2 sandy coves.

Turn left and there are a few places within 10 minutes. If you get to the river bed near the first harbour, turn inland there and follow the road up and left on to the main street, but it's pretty quiet nowadays. There is a bar there, Baraki, and opposite it is a great grill house, Gefseis.

If you look at the Gouves threads I've posted loads of stuff on there over the months and years, and there are some photos of mine on these (non-Gouves) threads as well: the 2 small sandy beaches here:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…60356633

It's a quiet area, but there are plenty of places to eat and drink dotted around.

Saltcoats, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sweet memory 1

Thanks very much for this info!

Are there wee tousisty shops and small supermarkets?

I heard of water activities/glass bottom boat etc, are they near?

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,234 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sweet memory 1

I've read about the glass-bottom boat, but I've not been this year and I think it must be new - so sorry, I don't know anything about it.

Watersports - I think they are available on the large beach near the 2 harbours. AFAIK there aren't any in he 2 sandy coves.

There used to be a supermarket near the chapel, but the building was re-modelled about 3 years ago. Last time I was there, some of the units hadn't been let, but hopefully there might be one there now. Otherwise, there is one by the middle of the first sandy cove, by Ilias snack bar. There is a much bigger one called Hellas about 50m further on, which sells everything, but beware, make sure you check prices before you buy there, as some things are much more expensive than they should be. On the street behind the Island hotel there are the usual mix of small supermarkets, clothes shops etc., and there are some larger supermarkets on the main street, but they are further away unless you find the short-cut. If you look at the map of SM 2 in my other post, then go left from it, you need to aim for the second crossroads - to take the short cut from SM1, go left along the seafront, take the first left and follow that road round the zigzag, and turn right at the junction which is quite near SM2. The next junction is by Baraki bar as above, and there is a supermarket in front of you, and if you turn left, there is an Ariadne supermarket just up there on the right, which is probably the cheapest in Gouves, if a little disorganised!

4. Re: Sweet memory 1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Kato Gouves
Recent Conversations