We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ubon Ratchathani to Pakse

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
423 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Ubon Ratchathani to Pakse

Hi

Planning a trip to Laos in Feb or March. Considering taking the overnight sleeper train from Bangkok to Ubon Ratchathani, arriving Ubon Ratchthani @ 7:25am.

What are the options for travel from Ubon Ratchathani to Pakse?

I have read on the forum taxies and buses are available. Can anyone share info on bus schedules, where the bus station is in relation to the train station, and whether I could arrange a bus ticket for travel to Pakse in the morning following disembarking the overnight sleeper train?

Advice and feedback greatly appreciated.

Regards

6 replies to this topic
Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,253 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ubon Ratchathani to Pakse

This was taken from the website below.

It may help.

Looks like it could be fun Gale M

"From Ubon Ratchatani in Thailand are at the bus station next to the Big C and the Makro 2 times a day VIP buses (back) to Pakse. 8.30 or 9.30 a.m and 3.30 p.m. price is also 200 Baht. (30-11-2012)"

http://www.bolaven.com/bus_pakse.php#km2

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
423 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ubon Ratchathani to Pakse

Hi inaspin

Thanks for the link. I think we met on TA earlier in the year when I was seeking help on the bus trip from CR to CK. How did your trip go?

Regards

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,253 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ubon Ratchathani to Pakse

Yes! do I remember Gale M, fans on the roof of the bus I think. 

I had been planing a trip from Chiang Mai through Chiang Rai then a slow boat down the Mekong, then to make our way from Vieng Vang back into Vientiane to catch the over night train back to Bangkok.

It was to be March this New Year ahead. BUT! It seems work commitments will have the better of me this time.

I booked the flight over, Sydney to Chiang Mai (one way) with hopes of five weeks before finishing with a shopping spree in BKK.

Now it looks as though at best we may get a week in Chiang Mai or we‘ll wave goodbye to the AA tickets and travel the planed route later.

The things you gotta do.

We did however get over to Asia in July/August this year. I’ll include the JBRs I put together over that five weeks.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g608455-i14513-…

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g303666-i11521-…

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g297390-i9163-k…

tripadvisor.com.au/…53704052

Have fun Gale M

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
423 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ubon Ratchathani to Pakse

Thanks for the links to your JBR's inaspin. Great read.

I'm planning 4 weeks in Laos, initially it was to be 3 weeks, but have managed to find another week. Want to motorbike Thakhek Loop & Bolaven Plateau Loop, spend some time in and around 4000 Islands, maybe visit Vang Vieng too. Have a friend in LPB and will make time for a few days there as well. In the process of planning a rough itinerary, allowing time for flexibility and the inevitable that happens when travelling. Spent time in Laos and Thailand in June earlier this year and it was a great time to travel. I believe March is hotter and perhaps busier, so getting the balance right between booking ahead and winging a seat last moment is where I am at. Still in research phase and enjoying the anticipation of it all.

Cheers

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ubon Ratchathani to Pakse

I traveled from Ubon Ratchathani to Pakse today. 5 Mar 2015. Very easy.

I got the plane from Bangkok to Ubon Then a 70bhat Taxi (Metred) to Ubon bus terminal. Make sure you get a yellow taxi and state it is 70 bhat. If you don't then they will charge you 200bhat up. Be firm and they will waver. The limousines wont.

At the Bus terminal the local Thai ticket person spotted I was a traveller and asked if I was going to Pakse. I said yes. I went to the booth. Paid 200bhat and caught the 0930 bus.

At the Thai / Laos border you need to buy your visa ($35 for UK) when you collect your passport you will be asked for a immigration fee. This is basically a backhander in all but name. Pay no more than 50bhat. That is what I paid. others on the same bus paid 100. Stick to 50 and you should be good.

The bus drops you off just outside Pakse with Tuk Tuks ready to take you into the city. Very easy ride.

Nuneaton, England
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ubon Ratchathani to Pakse

Thanks for this. We'll be travelling in December 2016 from Bangkok. Did you go to Champasak to see Wat Phou afterwards? Which hotel/B&B did you stay in?

Regards

Sophie

Reply to: Ubon Ratchathani to Pakse
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ubon Ratchathani