We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stocking our Villa

Nantucket
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Stocking our Villa

We are planning to prepare some meals during our upcoming vaca in November and would love some recommendations on where to shop. I've heard there is a farmers market (not sure when, where)? Best place to get fresh fish (market or pier)? Wine? Rum? Is there a bakery? Also, would love to know if there are some local specialty items that we shouldn't miss on our visit. -- Kinda like you shouldn't miss out on the beignets at Cafe du Monde when you go to New Orleans :)

Punta Arenas, Costa...
Level Contributor
787 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stocking our Villa

Where is your "upcoming vaca" location?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stocking our Villa

Dear monomoy...

Even that I´m very familiar with the area...most of the time we buy everything in San Jose...

The best person to answer your question ALLYLAM...nobody knows more about shopping for food than her...and she is from NOSARA!

roadavisor

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stocking our Villa

I'm sure Allylam will chime in as she always great in helping out, but when I have spend time in Nosara, i stopped at Pali Supermercadi in Nicoya for all our needs great selection groceries at good prices. the Market in the town of Nosara also stocks a good selection of groceries, and there use to be a produce truck that makes the rounds around town. There was a great fish and seafood store in Esperanza, just outside of town too, freshest ever!

Edited: 24 October 2011, 18:50
Nantucket
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stocking our Villa

Exbeachers2, we will be in Nosara. Sorry, I should have clarified that.

Thank you roadadvisor and Cubanon for your replies.

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,188 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stocking our Villa

Your best bet for grocery items is to stop in Nicoya at the Super Compro (on the main street) before coming here, only because it will save you money!

We do have a large store here, (Super Nosara) located in the town of Nosara, about 10 minutes from Guiones beach or 5 minutes from Pelada beach. You will be able to get anything you need there, including fruit, vegetables, meats and fish.

For more American specialty items, there are two 'mini' supers, again, one in Pelada and one in Guiones, but they will cost more.

In high season, there is an organic market on Saturday mornings at Giardino Tropicale Hotel/Restaurant. If they are up and running in Nov. get there early for the best selection. The market would be open at 8:00am and is sold out before noon! You can also get very frest fish there, the truck parks right on the street in front.

In addition, there is an Organic Market Store on the main street across the street from Cafe de Paris, next door to Coconut Harry's Surf Shop. It will cost a little more than the farmers market.

There is also more organic foods at "The Village" which is located just up the street from Giardino's. Again, they are not there now for low season, but I suspect they will be there again come Nov. Their vegetable market used to sell on Fridays, but do go in and ask as I don't know what their schedule will be this season.

If these farmers markets are not open when you are here, and even if they are, the best way to get fruits and vegetables is to buy directly off the truck! It will be parked somewhere on the main street in Guiones, at least twice a week!

For the best fish, walk early morning (no later than 9:00) to the south end of the beach. There is a 'fish' camp down that way. Ask around for a guy named 'Pato'. That is who we buy from, but any fisherman down there will sell fish if they have it. If this does not work for you, there is a fish market on the main road, across from Nosara Yoga Center. Again, get there early. If they are already sold out, ask them to hold something for you for the next day. Or take a drive over to Garza (15 minutes outside of town) and go to their fish market. They never seem to sell out.

For bakery, you can't beat Cafe de Paris, mentioned above.

And for 'specialty items' look for the little vendors parked at the Super Nosara, main street Guiones or even at the gas station, for ceviche, tamales, empenadas (sp?) and more! They will be selling out of their cars, but it's good food!

Last, for wine and Rum, there is a large selection at the Super Nosara, but you may be lucky, as there is a liquor store coming here! It will be right next door to the Organic Market Store mentioned above. There is a sign in the window saying, "Opening Soon" so we are all excited about it. Hopefully it will open by the time you get here, as it will most likely be cheaper than Super Nosara.

Enjoy you visit!

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,188 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stocking our Villa

Roadadvisor, you're too funny. I guess with my recent questions about pearl onions, spinach and turkeys, you might think that's all I think about...food! Ha-Ha! I'm actually more interested in Wine....HA!

The fish market Cubanon mentions in Esperanza is the same one I refer to across from the Yoga Institute. It's only about a minute drive from Cafe Paris and is your best bet for fresh fish outside of the fish camp and Garza, which is a bit further away.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stocking our Villa

Dear Allylam...

Thank you for your kind answer...you are the best around NOSARA...

roadadvisor

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,188 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stocking our Villa

www.nicoyapeninsula.com/nosara/nosara.php

Above is a map of the Nosara, Guiones and Pelada beach areas that will show most of the places I mention. Just thought that if you have not seen this map already, it will help you figure out where things are!

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stocking our Villa

Is nice to see that someone in Costa Rica has better prices than Pali(Walmart)

We'll stop there next time we are in the area.

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,188 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stocking our Villa

Cubanon, Sorry, I don't understand....did someone say there were better prices somewhere other than Pali? Pali, in nearby Samara and in Nicoya is probably better than anywhere in Nosara for bulk items but I don't think the OP will want bulk items for a vacation, so I was just suggesting Nicoya, where prices are better than Nosara!

I don't think the Wal-Mart in Escazu has good prices at all, but there sure is a lot there, a 'one stop shop' and there can be good sales there. The Maxi Bodega (just outside of Nicoya) which is also owned by Wal-Mart has very pretty vegetables (usually) and you can sometimes finds things there (like sweet yellow bell peppers) that you can't find elsewhere, but it will cost you plenty there too!

Just didn't want to give the wrong inpression that it cheaper here! It's NOT!