We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking suggestions in Konitsa area

Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Walking suggestions in Konitsa area

I am looking for half-day walking suggestions around Konitsa. Obvious choice would be walk from Konitsa Bridge to Stomiou Monastery, this is well described elsewhere.

Other option I read about is walk from Klidonia bridge along Voidomatis river towards Aristi – Papingo road where Panagia Spiliotissa Monastery is to be seen. From here I could reach Aristi by road. Is path along Voidomatis an easy walk?

If I choose to visit Aristi this way – is it possible to get taxi from here to Klidonia or Konitsa?

Which walk would you recommend? (probably both) Is there other nice do it yourself walks in same area? (I know about Vikos gorge).

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,524 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking suggestions in Konitsa area

Sorry to be a it late on replying to this - for some reason i did not get an alert that there was a message posted.

Certainly the walk to Stomiou is well worth doing. It's a lovely trail alongside the river then with a short steep climb up to the monastery which is a stunning location with great views back down the valley & up to the mountain peaks. You don't mention the time of year of your visit, but the path should be fine at anytime although expect the river to be quite high after winter rains/snowmelt so do wear good footwear in case you have any damp/muddy sections. Definitely a "must do" walk!

I have not done any other walks in the immediate Konitsa area - the path along Voidomatis is clearly marked on the Anavasi Zagori map but you would either have to return the same way or be prepared for some road walking.

If you get a copy of the Anavsi Zagori map it lists several walks on the reverse, but these are concentrated more in the Monodendri, Kipi, Vitsa, Papingo & Dilofo areas. I personally would not used Konitsa as a base for walks, apart from the Stomiou one. If you are relying on public transport be aware it is very sparse around the villages & taxis will be a matter of asking around.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking suggestions in Konitsa area

The suggestions by tsipouro are very good

Two proposals

Konitsa-Stomiou-Konitsa 11,7 km Circular route

. el.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=274442 .

Konitsa-trapezitsa 7,72 km Non circular route

. el.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=1280768 .

I have not done the routes so I can't give more information

Points of interest

. http://konitsa.gr/en/drastiriotites?q=map .

Edited: 16 March 2013, 11:02
South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,524 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking suggestions in Konitsa area

Hi Aldro - thanks for those links. That first one is the standard there-and-back route rather than what could be called circular. Deffo the best walk in the area unless you are a mountaineer!

The second option is to the viewpoint atop Roidhovouni (which I have not done) - but this is a much more serious uphill slog with much zig-zagging up some very steep slopes. And unless you wanted to make a very long circuit it would be another back-the-way-you-came trek with of course a very steep descent!

If the OP is equipped for serious mountain walking there are lots of possibilities, but generally people looking for half-day walks tend to have limited equipment. Good boots, protective clothing, ample food & drink etc are absolute musts once you move away from the relative safety of paths like the one to Stomiou.

Useful map & site in your third link.

Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking suggestions in Konitsa area

Thanks for your suggestions! I plan to visit in beginning of April, so I expect river levels to be high. I found good insight on Klidonia - Aristi path here:

http://www.mapmywalk.com/routes/view/5988851

So there are several options on returning – same way along the river, along the road through Aristi or possibly across the hills as mentioned in description. There should be good views from Agios Minas village as well.

I plan to stay in Ioannina for a short while. Several bus connections to Konitsa are listed in Ioannina KTEL site, so that was area I was researching for. I suppose I should be able to get off and on the bus at Klidonia as well and will try to catch an early bus if decide to go.

Thanks for notice on good walking shoes. I usually have no problems on walking or short trekking and was looking on something to do on my own. I should ask around for local conditions anyway – if rivers are no on spate, as there is some rainfall on forecast.

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,524 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking suggestions in Konitsa area

Sounds as though you have done some good basic research & are prepared to work around local conditions. Should be some great views with snow on the high peaks & plenty of flowers & greenery.

6. Re: Walking suggestions in Konitsa area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2014, 03:15