We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bus from ioannina to zagori area

australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
bus from ioannina to zagori area

We are planning to hike and stay in the Zagori area in June 2014 and can't find bus timetables for the area. I have read that there are only 2 buses a day but not every day.

We will not consider hiring a car.

14 replies to this topic
South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,346 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bus from ioannina to zagori area

I'm sorry I don't have any links for buses. Public transport in Zagori is geared to the needs of local residents & is not very useful to visitors. Places like Monodendri & Kipi will be better served but other places may well have only a couple of buses a week. Also you do not find village taxis. The majority of visitors do either travel independently by hire car or are part of organised hiking tours with private transfers.

Corfu Town, Greece
Level Contributor
174 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bus from ioannina to zagori area

When you think of Zagori, imagine a very big area, full of high mountains and big rivers.There are many villages in the area, this is the reason why you dont find specific timetables.You must know in which village you want to go! So, the buses start from the city of Ioannina, very nice city for one or more days stop and from there you can organise your tours.VERY nice villages are Papigo (mikro and megalo), with the hiking route to Drakolimni and rafting and horseriding opportunities.IMO the trip in the area will be an unforgettable trip for you.

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,661 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bus from ioannina to zagori area

Schedules are on here at 42 and 43:

ktelioannina.gr/TRANSPORT7/…

Two buses on Tuesdays to Papingo and two on Monday to Monodendri.

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,346 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bus from ioannina to zagori area

Very useful link philhellene - thank you, I shall bookmark that for future reference. It will require some careful planning to use the buses to facilitate walking however as to miss a return bus could result in a very long wait for another one. Np wonder I cannot ever recall actually seeing a public bus on the roads in Zagori.

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,661 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bus from ioannina to zagori area

In my (limited) experience of the region - I haven't visited for about 10 years - the standard way of getting around without a car is to hitch a lift. If you're in Papingo and want to get to Monodendri, you're unlikely to have long to wait.

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,346 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bus from ioannina to zagori area

Yes - especially if you walk the Vikos Gorge the locals are quite accustomed to hikers seeking a lift back to where they started, although I always advise people to try to make return arrangements in advance. Usually someone at the place you are staying will know someone who will collect you. We have picked up walkers & also locals trying to get back to their own village in many areas of Greece.

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,712 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bus from ioannina to zagori area

Hi,

Posts 5 and 6 make a lot of sense, it will be possible to arrange a lift or hitch a ride in the area. Whatever, do not miss out on hiking the Vikos gorge.

athens
Level Contributor
82 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bus from ioannina to zagori area

i traveled from ioannina to monodendri by bus,in the begining of may. there are 2 buses every day except weekend.first bus is at 06:30 and the next at 13:30.it takes about one hour to go to monodendri cause it makes a lot of stops..ticket is 3,60 euros per person. i had booked my hotel until sunday so i took a taxi to get back to ioannina,i paid 50 euros,its a good deal cause the distance is big. there r also buses for some villages at zagori area like papigo,time schedule is the same.the most importand think is to remember that on weekend there is no bus!!! otherwise the area is great, vikos goerge is fantastic!

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,346 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bus from ioannina to zagori area

Glad you enjoyed your trip dion21 & thanks for posting the bus information. Unfortunately I realise those timings will not appeal to the majority of visitors but at least if you are determined you can get into Zagori. The early start is useful for hikers, especially when the weather gets hotter.

Prague, Czech...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: bus from ioannina to zagori area

hi dion21,

just want to check if buses from ioannina to monodendri go really everyday (except weekend). i found quite a lot confusing information and need to check that it will work for tuesday, thanks.

Reply to: bus from ioannina to zagori area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted