We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking from Papigo to Konitsa ?

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Walking from Papigo to Konitsa ?

Hello, would any one know if it's possible to hike from Papigo (either megalo or micro) to Konitsa ?

Which trail, how difficult, how many hours, and how well signposted is it ?

I was born in the region but am returning for a holiday after living overseas for almost 50 years, and I'm so excited at being able to walk through Zagoria from village to village in August.

Thank you

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,323 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking from Papigo to Konitsa ?

It is possible, but not a route I have ever done & I don't have access to a map until this evening to have a look at possible routes, but you would arrive in Konitsa at the Aoos bridge I think - coming down a path which follows the river from below Stomiou Monastery. If no-one else answers today I will check this out for you later.

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,653 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking from Papigo to Konitsa ?

You could walk down to Aristi crossing the Voidomatos River on the way and then join the main Ioannina/Konitsa road but that might be cheating. It's a long walk, maybe 20 miles and take the best part of a day.

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,323 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking from Papigo to Konitsa ?

I assume the OP is seeking a rural hike rather than walking along the road, but that is an option! There are routes over the hills - but not sure without a map whether you have to go as high as Drakolimni & then drop into the Aoos valley, or whether you can skirt round at a lower level. It will be pretty hot in August, climbing out of Papingo but should certainly be a bit fresher when you get some height (although of course there will be no shade from the sun)

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,323 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking from Papigo to Konitsa ?

OK - I checked the map (Anavasi, Zagori 3.1 - advised to have this if walking in the area).

Yes - you walk up from Papingo, heading for Drakolimni & I assume this will be well marked as it is a popular route. When you reach the refuge hut near Xerolimni (which is marked as a marsh, so maybe a seasonal small lake or even dry in August) you carry on down to & past the left side of Xerolimni heading for the north side of this marsh/lake where the path forks. Right fork heads NE up to Drakolimni, but left fork heads almost due N at first & is a path then veering NNE down towards Stomiou Monastery & meets the dirt road where you would turn left, past the monastery & then follow a clear track all the way down to Aoos stone bridge at Konitsa.

I have no idea how long this would take & it is hard to even judge the distance on a map due to the steep ascents/descents but I am guestimating 15km. From Stomiou down to the bridge I would allow 1.5hrs (we did the return to there from Konitsa in 4 hours, including a picnic, visit the monastery & taking photos). Mikro Papingo to refuge would be maybe 3 hours? Refuge to Stomiou 2.5-3hours? Will depend on personal fitness, stamina, heat etc. I would expect there will be other hikers in the area at any time & certainly anyone staying in Papingo & heading up to Drakolimni will know the territory.

I would expect that by August the paths will all have been well walked since spring & so even if not signposted should be fairly obvious on the ground.

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking from Papigo to Konitsa ?

Thank you to everyone. I'm waiting for the map to be delivered, and with your directions it will be a wonderful experience. Kind regards, Kosmas

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,323 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking from Papigo to Konitsa ?

That Anavasi map is very good - & you will find several routes/paths listed & described on the reverse which are well walked routes between villages so it should be a great help for your planning. Signposting of routes in Greece is improving, albeit slowly, as they are realising what a wonderful additional asset they have in appealing to nature lovers & hikers etc as well as those who want sun, sand, sea & classical sites.

Apart from the busier villages like Monodendri & Kipi I'll bet not an awful lot has changed in the look of things since you were last in the area. Have a great trip & do come back & tell us about it.

7. Re: Walking from Papigo to Konitsa ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2015, 08:18