We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Analgesia help needed

Cheltenham
Level Contributor
88 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Analgesia help needed

Hello. I would be very grateful for some help please. My Son who is 22 is in China travelling around with his Job for 3 months

He has a painful foot ? stress fracture and needs strong painkillers. He went to a Pharmacy and was given some Tablets for Arthritis which are not suitable for him to take.

He is experiencing problems with the Language barrier and I was wondering if anyone could write down the name of Codeine or other similar Medication that he could go into a pharmacy with and request.

Thank you for your help

Worried Mum

11 replies to this topic
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Analgesia help needed

Your son should not get a translation from us but a decent prescription, from a doctor!!!

Would not know of any foreign doctors in Changzhou but there is a Singaporean doctor in Suzhou: http://www.singhealth.asia

Otherwise plenty of choice in Shanghai:

www.seimc.com.cn

parkwayhealth.cn/medical-center-locations.php

http://shanghai.ufh.com.cn/en/

Cheltenham
Level Contributor
88 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Analgesia help needed

Thank you laowai88 ,

I am not asking for medical advice from Tripadviser I am a medical person and all my son requires are Codeine tablets. He doesn't need to see a Doctor. I was just hoping for a name of the same type of product readily available from a Pharmacy in China.

Thank you for your help.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,339 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Analgesia help needed

He probably needs a prescription for something strong enough.

If he is there for work, I assume he is interacting with many Chinese. He should get one to accompany him at the hospital, see a doctor and get a prescription. I don't know about that place but at my local hospital in Beijing, which is a pretty good one, I only pay 10RMB to see a doctor.

In any case, strong pain killer is written:

强效止疼片

Cheltenham
Level Contributor
88 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Analgesia help needed

Thank You Jean-Pierre D

That is very helpful. He did go with a translator to a Pharmacy and came away with Arthriis Medication which is too toxic and not appropriate. I will give him your information. Thank you for the Chinese Translation of Strong Painkillers.

Worried Mum

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Analgesia help needed

Get your point. Well "strong pain killer" can also mean Valium. Do not expect staff in Chinese pharmacies to be on the same level as in our countries. Many "just work there". So never let them choose, but tell them exactly what you need. What is the English name of the drug? Either we find the Chinese equivalent on the web or he should ask if they have a "dictionary" in which you look up the English name with the Chinese translation. Many pharmacies here in Shanghai have it. Also a picture might help as many drugs at least look the same in China, just have a Chinese name.

Cheltenham
Level Contributor
88 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Analgesia help needed

Thank You laowai88

I will look up Co-Codamol 8/500 tablets they contain codeine and paracetamol. I don't know if there is an equivalent in China but just plain Codeine would do as he has Paracetamol with him.I appreciate your advice along with all "Trip advisor Friends"

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Analgesia help needed

When I look up http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Co-codamol it tells me that Tylenol is related to that? If so: tylenol.com.cn/production/product_adult_tyl_…

剂量:每片含对乙酰氨基酚325mg,盐酸伪麻黄碱30mg, 氢溴酸右美沙芬15mg,马来酸氯苯那敏2mg / Dose: Each tablet contains paracetamol 325mg, pseudoephedrine hydrochloride 30mg, 15mg of dextromethorphan hydrobromide, chlorpheniramine maleate sensitive 2mg

Or am I totally wrong here?

Cheltenham
Level Contributor
88 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Analgesia help needed

Wow that is Fabulous. Thank You laowai88 That is excellent news and will be of use to him. I will copy and paste this information for him to see

With gratitude for your assistance.

Worried Mum

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Analgesia help needed

Cool! Any pharmacy should have it. Quite popular in China. Did not know it's a painkiller, thought only against cold...

Cheltenham
Level Contributor
88 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Analgesia help needed

It is an excellent painkiller and is widely used over here, for headaches/joint pains and of course for reducing temperature with colds and Influenza I appreciate your help

Reply to: Analgesia help needed
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Changzhou