We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Vito lo Capo, Sicily Beaches

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
San Vito lo Capo, Sicily Beaches

I usually stay in a hotel that provides loungers on the beach in front. This time I'm renting apartments in Trapani and San Vito and want to know if the beaches are free andif the fees are actually for the chairs, not the beach. Plan on buying my own and also want to know if anyone knows where in Palermo or Trapani I can get them.

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Vito lo Capo, Sicily Beaches

Fees are for chairs and umbrella but you can't take you own chairs and umbrella on a paying beach but you can do it in a free beach.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Vito lo Capo, Sicily Beaches

Which beaches are free?

Mestre, Italy
Level Contributor
7,494 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Vito lo Capo, Sicily Beaches

The beach is divided in free and pay area

Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Vito lo Capo, Sicily Beaches

http://www.sanvitoweb.com/english/

Looking at the pictures there are some free beaches, moreover Italian law says that there MUST be free beaches in every coastal town.

Contact local tourist board for more info, see link above.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,770 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: San Vito lo Capo, Sicily Beaches

Welcome to Sicily Hollyssg!

Anyone who has been to San Vito Lo Capo knows that ALL the beaches are free in San Vito Lo Capo.

San Vito Lo Capo's main sandy beach is completely free as are the rocky bay beaches outside town.

Vagabonda

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Vito lo Capo, Sicily Beaches

I've been there twice but always stayed at the Miraspaggia and only went to their beach using their chairs. My apt hotel says they have a "private beach" and you can rent chairs for 15 euros but we intended to get portable chairs for our beach apt we are renting in Trapani the week before bring them with us and use them on San Vito Lo Capo beach. That's what was confusing.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,770 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: San Vito lo Capo, Sicily Beaches

There are hotels with private beaches, and €15 is the going rate for chairs and an umbrella even on the free beach.

Trapani's beaches are also free.

The lungomare beach at Piazza Vittorio Emanuele is very convenient for Trapani's historic centre, and there's also the beach outside town at San Giuliano near the university. You can take a bus.

tuttocitta.it/mappa/…piazza-vittorio-emanuele

You would find chairs in town or at the supermercati.

Vagabonfa

Cary, North Carolina
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: San Vito lo Capo, Sicily Beaches

We are planning on a four day stay in Sicily and flying into Palermo. Our kids really would like a beach and it looks like San Vito lo Capo is highly recommended. I have read some bad reviews on the town itself and a little worried on our stay there. Is there a better alternative to have a nicer town with a nice beach?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,770 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: San Vito lo Capo, Sicily Beaches

Welcome to Sicily 69ElizabethF!

The beach is very beautiful at San Vito Lo Capo, but San Vito Lo Capo is a beach resort town only, and not well positioned for any sightseeing.

Cefalù is a beach resort, but also a genuine town with an historic centre.

Cefalu vs San vito lo capo:

tripadvisor.com/…50881356

Vagabonda

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Vito lo Capo, Sicily Beaches

I've been there 3 times in the past 3 years. It's a lovely town with a great beach in my opinion a much better beach then Cefalu. Celalu is an older, prettier town.

Trapani, Erice are 45 minutes by car lots to see and if you want a beach/city experience, Trapani is where to go. Ferries to the islands and lots to see in the area, and beach everywhere. The Zingaro nature reserve in San Vito is amazing.

I would go in early September. I have been told that August is really crazy there.

The Miraspaggia is the best hotel and right on the beach but if you aren't fussed by a lack of luxury and need a reasonable place big enough for a family see my review on Trip Advisor of Il Baglio. Basic, clean accommodation a few blocks from the beach. The best water I've ever experienced is off San Vito.