We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Vito v Scopello June/July 2014

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
San Vito v Scopello June/July 2014

Hi we are a family of 4 (me, hubby and two teenagers 14 and 18) who will be ariving in Palermo on Sunday22/6 with approx. 2 weeks travel time. My initial thoughts are two stay approx. 4/5 days in San Vito or Scopello then off to Favignana for 3/4 days....then maybe make our way to Taormina or Giardini Naxos with our departure for Rome from Catania airport on Friday 4/7....i am of italian background so am fluent in Italian and we are looking at a relaxing beach holiday with an authentic sicilian bent,,,,,any suggestions? I am loving the idea of taking some boat rides around the island of Favignana as it looks magical...hiring a car is not an issue for us as my husband is quite confident in driving on European roads....any suggestions? Is Scopello too quiet at nights? Are their restaurants and bars etc or would San Vito be better....thank you in advance!!!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
106,260 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: San Vito v Scopello June/July 2014

Welcome to Sicily barbaram1602!

Scopello is very small, becoming popular and tourist, and the town is crowded in summer, especially during the day, but less crowded with the exit of day trippers. Fortunately there aren't too many accommodations, and so that limits those staying overnight.

Your family would probably better enjoy the beach and atmosphere at San Vito Lo Capo. Zingaro can be reached from both San Vito Lo Capo and Scopello.

Have you consider Sciacca or Cefalù?

Vagabonda

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Vito v Scopello June/July 2014

Hi Vagabona

Thank you for your information...as we fly into Palermo I thought San Vito or Scapello would be close and easy to get to...I was also looking at Cefalu...I like the idea of a few relaxing days on Favignana so we can stay close to the beach and just enjoy the beach life and then maybe travelling to a sicilian town close to the coast that we can go out for dinners etc....so maybe Cefalu would be better than San Vito? Some forums I read say that San Vito town does not have much character but is beach is beautiful? Would you agree? I assume Scopello would be good as a day trip? I have not had a chance to investigate Sciaccia....will look it up tonight...any suggestions for a sicilian town with character close to the coast would be much appreciated...

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
106,260 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: San Vito v Scopello June/July 2014

Prego barbaram1602,

Your assessment of San Vito Lo Capo is correct - San Vito Lo Capo is a seasonal beach resort town.

Cefalù is more of a town than San Vito Lo Capo, and not just a resort, so perhaps Cefalù would be better for your family than San Vito Lo Capo.

Scopello has no attractions. Scopello is a cute hamlet, the southern terminus and gateway to Lo Zingaro. You could also access Zingaro from San Vito Lo Capo.

Sciacca has character, so a possibility.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k4224…

tripadvisor.com/…49358897

Vagabonda

Cary, North Carolina
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: San Vito v Scopello June/July 2014

Vagabonda,

We are heading to San Vito and Favignana in June. We were wondering if we can rent stand up paddle boards and snorkeling gear in either of these places. Are there any fishing excursions that we could take from San Vito?

Thank you!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
106,260 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: San Vito v Scopello June/July 2014

Yes, you'll find rentals and excursions 69ElizabethF.

Vagabonda

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Vito v Scopello June/July 2014

Hi vagabonda you mentioned Sciaccia to me in one of your recommendations -what about staying in one of the accomodations close to Menfi (on the beach near Menfi or Porto Palo)? Are the towns very small? Would there be some restaurants or would it be better to stay close to Sciaccia? thanks so much for all your wonderful advice!!!!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
106,260 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: San Vito v Scopello June/July 2014

Hi barbaram1602,

The towns are fairly small, but there are restaurants in the area, but still not the offering of Sciacca.

Best regards,

Vagabonda

8. Re: San Vito v Scopello June/July 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2015, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about San Vito lo Capo