We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in and around Rutland in September

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,217 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do in and around Rutland in September

As I said on this thread tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g656898-i12603-k… because my family will be visiting in September I have been checking if the Rutland area has anything of interest and surprisingly there is plenty. I am sure if more people were aware of things they could do in the area this forum would be as busy as others on TA

5th – 8th September The Land Rover Burghley Horse Trials, Stamford - Situated in the stunning parkland surrounding Burghley House, this hugely popular equestrian and social event draws visitors from all around the world.

14th Rutland Day Festival near Empingham - 10am until 6pm celebrate all that is great with food and drink plus great family day entertainment.

To Sunday 15th September Summer Pop Up Gallery Oakham 10am-4pm discover some magnificent pieces of art, created by Rutland artists at Rutland Water Parks, Sykes Lane.

20th Rock & Roll Evening at Greetham Valley featuring live 50s and 60s music from the fabulous Jukebox Jets, plus disco and bar until midnight. Two course dinner included. Tickets £22.50

21st and 22nd Rockingham Castle Food and Craft Fair and Fete Open 10am - 5pm Set in the Great Park at Rockingham Castle

redqueenmusings.wordpress.com

Edited: 30 August 2013, 13:08
16 replies to this topic
england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in and around Rutland in September

Yes, its a bit odd because I would class the stone villages around Stamford as equal to the Cotswolds, there is also Rutland Water itself, with sailing, boat trips, fishing, bird watching and miles and miles of walking.

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,217 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in and around Rutland in September

I agree @fuchsiagirlEngland yet the Cotswold forum has 70+ pages of posts and this one only 64 topics and 4 pages since early 2009 - perhaps if we make a concerted effort we can move things along a bit 8)

redqueenmusings.wordpress.com

Level Contributor
3,035 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in and around Rutland in September

Rutland and Stamford are hidden gems. Right in the heart of the country, easy to get to from the A1, ideal for anyone doing the classic London/Cambridge/York trips that so many US tourists are interested.

A perfect (and much quieter) substitute for the Cotswolds.

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
5,589 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in and around Rutland in September

I echo all the above. Many times I've heard famous speakers and performers at arts events in Uppingham Theatre open with words like 'What a lovely town. How come I didn't know of its existence before?'

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,506 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do in and around Rutland in September

There is now a bus which connects Oakham and Uppingham with a circuit of Rutland Water. It's called Shorelink and full details can be found on

rutland.gov.uk/transport_and_streets/public_…

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,466 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do in and around Rutland in September

Hush...don't tell everyone. Villages like Ketton and Exton beat anything in the Cotswolds and real people still live there. Not second homes.

And the Good Pub Guide's best 2013 pubs are both in Rutland - the Olive Branch and the Grainstore.

So Aguilas, I hope that your family have a great time but do swear them to secrecy.

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,637 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do in and around Rutland in September

Uppingham Town ..

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g656898-s2/Rutland:…

Sylla

Edited: 30 August 2013, 20:56
Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,637 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do in and around Rutland in September

Rutland Water ..

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g190770-d493097/Oak…

Oakham Castle ...

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g190770-d1414344/Oa…

Sylla

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,783 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do in and around Rutland in September

On the other hand, at the moment I can cycle through some of the country's nicest countryside without being passed by tourist coaches (or anybody else) every few minutes .. long may that continue.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
10,245 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to do in and around Rutland in September

maybe some people like to keep their peace to themselves...............others don't they like to shout it from the roofs for all to hear. x

anyone know of a cottage/house that would suit 8 adults 2 children...............?

Edited: 30 August 2013, 23:07
Reply to: Things to do in and around Rutland in September
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rutland