We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report - North Caicos 10/31/12 - 11/4/12

Macungie, PA
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report - North Caicos 10/31/12 - 11/4/12

Got back a few weeks ago from a stay in North Caicos and figured I just put a few notes up on the forum for anyone else considering a vacation there or preparing for a vacation there.

TIPS for anyone who doesn't feel like reading my whole blurb below:

-Pack your own food (from home or from the grocery on Provo). All of it.

-Invest in a high quality packable water filtration system (we used Sawyer).

-Plan to relax on the beach, walk on the beach, swim in the ocean and that's IT.

-We each used about 8 oz of sunblock over four days. The sun is very sneaky here - you won't be hot because of the breeze and won't realize you are getting burned.

-Stay on a place that is ON the beach. The beach is where it is at.

First the positive:

WOW - the beach in Whitby is just gorgeous. And so deserted! The solitude was amazing. There are several places you can stay where with just a few foot steps you can find yourself out on this beautiful beach. There was a constant breeze to keep the bugs off. There is plentiful shade and sun. The sand is soft, coral bits easy to navigate around. The stars were incredible. I saw the milky way for the first time since I was a child! If you love sitting on the beach, walking on the beach or swimming in the ocean you will LOVE a vacation here.

I've heard the snorkeling, diving and fishing are also good. We snorkeled a bit and saw a sand shark and two fish. I think for good snorkeling you probably need to arrange for a boat charter/tour. And of course you need a boat charter to enjoy fishing or diving.

It was cool seeing the flamingos. They were hanging out in several ponds we drove past. Some were quite close and easy to view.

We knew these dates would be "off season" but had no idea just how "off" it would be. We were the only people staying at the Hollywood Beach Suites and had the entire HUGE gorgeous beach completely to ourselves. This was cool although it might have been nice to have some other couples to share a drink with! The bigger problem was dining out - The Silver Palm was closed. We ate once at the Barracuda Beach Bar down at Pelican Beach Hotel and drove over to Middle Caicos and ate at Daniel's but the vegetarian options were very limited at both for my boyfriend and frankly just not worth the price for him. All other meals we ate in our suite - thank goodness I had prepared with lots of packed food from home to make (and had also shopped at the grocery on Provo).

Some negative:

We rented a car for two days (really cheap! it was beat to hell but that's a good thing because we further beat it to hell) and drove around to explore. The "sights" of North and Middle are a bit over advertised - or maybe it is just that all the tourist information is so out of date for these islands.

Honestly (sorry locals, I know you are proud of your island) - the place is post-apocalyptical. Abandoned cars, houses, hotels - some of them just incomplete bare concrete are around every corner. Roads and road signs are decaying and non-existent. Everywhere are signs of a real estate bubble burst - developments laid out but never built with decaying for-sale signs mocking. You will find a news article from July of a woman attacked by dogs on the beach in Whitby - she died from the attack (not from being mauled to death but from a heart attack). 49 dogs were trapped and euthanized since then, we saw several skinny dogs but they all appeared to have owners, most were tied up and none were roaming the beach in packs. Most locals scowl from their sadly run down modest homes as you drive by - you will feel like an intruder and you should, you are.

Some summary and lots of repeating myself:

I don't think a day trip from Provo to North and Middle as often suggested on these forums makes sense. I think you get the most out of North and Middle Caicos where you spend at least several days there to unwind. Walk the beach early in the morning, in the evening under the stars (god they are incredible). Have your morning coffee or tea quietly contemplating the waves just steps from your room.

This really isn't a good sight seeing vacation. It's not a good "foodie" vacation. It's not a vacation for night life, cultural activities, adventure, or being pampered.

Go to north caicos for a very quiet time relaxing with people you love and/or for communing with the beach and the ocean.

I want to note in closing that it seems like maybe things are looking up for these two islands - the causeway is getting repaired in the next few months. Some of the abandoned hotels have been purchased and rehabilitation should start soon. Their troubles in government corruption and funding are slowly getting straightened out. Perhaps the next couple years will represent a real sweet spot between under development and over development for travellers.

Vidor, Texas
Level Contributor
467 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report - North Caicos 10/31/12 - 11/4/12

I guess everyone has their own definition of "good sight seeing". I saw so many things, mostly on Middle.

Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
6,840 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report - North Caicos 10/31/12 - 11/4/12

I never heard it described as post apocalyptical before...

Glad you enjoyed the beach and the stars! I agree it is difficult to appreciate any islands on a daytrip. Smile and wave to those scowling locals and most will do the same back. : )

3. Re: Trip report - North Caicos 10/31/12 - 11/4/12

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 November 2012, 18:55
4. Re: Trip report - North Caicos 10/31/12 - 11/4/12

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 November 2012, 19:04
Mullica Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report - North Caicos 10/31/12 - 11/4/12

It's all good Amy. North & Middle are not for everyone. There are things that are not pristine on both islands. But there is beauty in contrast.

Want to comment on the locals, cuz that kind of bugged me a little. I've always found the locals very friendly. I get way more smiles & waves there than in some US areas. They are chill. They are living their lives not being the tourism welcoming committee. I've never been treated like an intruder, and no, I'm not. As people who visit my home town are not intruders. Disagree with that way of thinking.

Other than that, I can see that if you weren't prepared for NC & MC that it could seem not ready for high end tourism. That's not what it's about. As Mary said, beach, water, stars, repeat. That's it. Good enough for me.

6. Re: Trip report - North Caicos 10/31/12 - 11/4/12

Removed on: 06 January 2013, 23:26
United States
Level Contributor
775 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report - North Caicos 10/31/12 - 11/4/12

I was lucky enough to have spent two weeks in T&C. And as a solo traveler, I met many locals that easily became friends - they were the ones to greet me before I can even open my mouth to greet them.

One in particular, I got to spent time with and spent that time exploring areas outside the tourist spots. One was MC and now a place I want to return to as it's true, it's not a place for fine dining, mega shopping or mingling in large groups.

What I saw on the other side of the tourist hotels on Grace Bay was that the average hard working in T&C don't live in luxury like Donna Karen, Prince or where the rolling stones stay while visiting - they live within their means and humble about the roof over their head - truly humble as some have migrated after Haiti wiped out their entire homeland area after the earthquake.

Not making judgements here but the one thing I know is that research and education goes a long way and that to me priceless in enjoying vacation.

Vidor, Texas
Level Contributor
467 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report - North Caicos 10/31/12 - 11/4/12

Well said Amy and 50waves.

Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
6,840 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report - North Caicos 10/31/12 - 11/4/12

Well said dashnj. Didn't want her to feel left out... She's my bud.

Mullica Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report - North Caicos 10/31/12 - 11/4/12

Oh JoeB. You're my Bud too. Funny :P

Get answers to your questions about North Caicos
Recent Conversations