We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Video:Driving from Daniel's Cafe on the Crossing Place Trail

Middle Caicos
Level Contributor
897 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Video:Driving from Daniel's Cafe on the Crossing Place Trail

If you're lucky enough to make it to Daniel's Cafe on Middle Caicos for a great lunch, and you're feeling adventurous, instead of taking the paved road I'd suggest an off road drive next to the beach. Here's a video of us leaving Daniel's Cafe and heading out to Wild Cow Run. Of course we could have turned right once we got to the paved road to head back to North Caicos (about 13 minutes 45 seconds) but instead we drove past Bambarra beach (about 17 minutes 30 seconds) and kept on trucking down to Wild Cow Run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch…

PS - You'll see me stop and check the camera a couple times because it'll turn itself off with the hard drive shock detector if it bounces around too much. It did turn off just before we got to Wild Cow Run. I had my tripod roped down to the back seat of the Jeep, two legs on the back seat and one on the rear spare tire.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Video:Driving from Daniel's Cafe on the Crossing Place Trail

Darn, I wish I had known about that road! Going to have to take it on our next visit.

Thanks for sharing!

Middle Caicos
Level Contributor
897 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Video:Driving from Daniel's Cafe on the Crossing Place Trail

There's also another off road experience on Middle if you head past the airport and caves. You can just keep going all the way to where the above video is at about 19 minutes at the turn (you see the sign for the intersection in the video.) Although it's a much rougher rocky road, so you'll need a vehicle with clearance and hopefully 4x4 if you try that one. I haven't taken that back road in a while, so best of luck if you try it too.

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
10,601 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Video:Driving from Daniel's Cafe on the Crossing Place Trail

You are the first person to post the most moving/road videos from North/Middle Caicos. Been there 8 times for Daytrippers and always find it amazing. Did you get to KEW Village? It has the T&C's only 5 road converging intersection. At low tide, you can walk/wade out to Pelican Cay about a 1/3 mile out from Bambarra Beach. Not too many actually get to experience Wild Cow Run either. Well done. DR. JIM

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,300 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Video:Driving from Daniel's Cafe on the Crossing Place Trail

I love Wild Cow!

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,835 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Video:Driving from Daniel's Cafe on the Crossing Place Trail

"I love Wild Cow"

+1

Middle Caicos
Level Contributor
897 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Video:Driving from Daniel's Cafe on the Crossing Place Trail

Ha, yeah I've been to Kew on previous trips and drove around there quite a bit too, but I have yet to meet Lady Liza (resident donkey.) And it's hard to beat a long stroll down Bambarra Beach with your lady by your side and no one else around for miles. We've been to a lot of off the beaten path places on North and Middle, it's fun to explore when the people are so nice you don't have to worry. It's refreshing. Being from Chicago, sadly we're just not use to that.

The camera I've got is now about 5 years old, so this trip I took a few risks with it that I wouldn't have when it was new. I got quite a few strange stares as I drove by people with the tripod sticking our the back of the Jeep and the camera cranked up three feet above the roof. Once I explained that I was just recording things to post on the Internet, everyone thought that was a really cool idea. I ended up recording 60 gigs of video last week, a little over 7 hours worth. I only had about 10 minutes of space left on the camera when I got home, it was the most I've ever recorded on one trip.

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,601 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Video:Driving from Daniel's Cafe on the Crossing Place Trail

Last time we'd seen the Island's last donkey(Liza) was in 2011. Having 3 young daughters with us--I didn't want to ask the last 2 years. But Salt Cay has more feral donkeys than Island residents--that we found out last August on our Daytripper. DR. JIM

Middle Caicos
Level Contributor
755 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Video:Driving from Daniel's Cafe on the Crossing Place Trail

Caution is advised to anyone taking beach roads (sand) - if you get stuck, there are NO tow trucks on Middle Caicos.

For the average tourist, and as someone who has gotten stuck off roading it, I suggest that the majority of folks stay on paved roads.

Digging out in the heat while mosquitos ravage you - not a fun day.

Middle Caicos
Level Contributor
897 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Video:Driving from Daniel's Cafe on the Crossing Place Trail

The trail leaving Daniel's Cafe in the video is compact sand, easy to drive on. I saw a regular four door passenger car with an older couple driving down that road while I was fishing off the mess Zebo left behind at Platico Point (and did well fishing there.) I've never had problems on the road in the video.

Now that's not the same story for driving on the sand by Wild Cow Run. The sand by Wild Cow Run is fluffy and you will get stuck if you attempt to drive on that, even with a 4x4 Jeep, been there. If you do get stuck, don't dig yourself in by thinking pressing on the gas will get you out. Find something to stick under the tires, driftwood or whatever you can find that may have washed up on shore.

Staying on the paved roads, where's the fun in that? Ha ;-)

Edited: 29 January 2014, 16:41
Middle Caicos
Level Contributor
755 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Video:Driving from Daniel's Cafe on the Crossing Place Trail

I am saying it's most predictable and safer to stay on main roads.

While the beach road might have been compact sand when *you* drove it, the condition can change and could have changed by today - it can change with a hard rain, a storm, another vehicle making its way on the road, etc..

And, even if the road were not to change into perpetuity, while the sand may be compact on the two narrow tread marks, a slight deviation off the path can result in disaster. The four door vehicle you saw making its way on the road likely was manned by a driver who could make the drive blindfolded, knowing every tricky spot the road presents.

Unlikely it was Joe Tourist with his wife and 3 small children in the back.

If you're up for adventure and can handle a potentially enormous monkey wrench being thrown into your day - then by all means, go off roading on remote islands where you might not see another soul pass you. It is certainly fun, and exciting, and beautiful.

However, my suggestion, as one who imparts travel information about Middle Caicos to those interested, is - stay on the main road. It's the responsible advice to impart.

There's a reason "on the beaten path" is a saying.

Get answers to your questions about Middle Caicos