We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salt Cay, first trip, please advise

Lexington, South...
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Salt Cay, first trip, please advise

Greetings. Thanks for taking time to read this.

My wife and I are making our first trip to Salt Cay (can't wait!!!) and had a few questions.

We've budgetted our trip out as sensibly as we can, but are not sure of local prices of certain things, and was curious if someone could help us out with some knowledge/experience of prices. Specifically like cases of beer? Cases of water? How "available" are these items? Do the local stores on SC have beer/water/sodas? Gotta have beer!!!!

I see that meat is pretty hard to come by, so we are considering either buying meet in Provo or packing frozen meat from home (I'd prefer to buy it in Provo as to avoid having to pay the airlines anymore than we already are) does anyone have any input on this one way or the other? As far as which is better?

Also, is there any fishing equipment available for use/rent on SC? Or do you need to bring your own equipment from home? I would like to try and surf fish a little bit if I can.

Thanks for whatever help you can offer a scatter brained first timer to Salt Cay like me!

6 replies to this topic
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4,480 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Salt Cay, first trip, please advise

We stayed 6 days on Salt Cay a few months ago and loved it!

Where are you staying? You can get your property manager to stock some basics like beer, water and soda prior to your arrival. That way you don't have to worry about bringing the heavy items with you. Also ask that they order you a loaf of Nettie's homemade bread......great toast in the mornings!

I think we paid around $43.00 for a case of Turks Head beer ( local beer). We ordered a couple of jugs of water which I'm guessing was around $5.00 each.

We didn't shop for any groceries while on SC but you can get some basic items there.

I would try and do all your shopping at the IGA on Provo if you have time. Pack a soft sided cooler and fill up with groceries to bring over to SC with you. Oh, and don't forget to buy some carrots to feed the donkeys!

I can't answer the fishing questions for you. Maybe your property manager will be able to.

Enjoy Salt Cay!!

Lexington, South...
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salt Cay, first trip, please advise

Thank you for your reply! We are staying at the Brown House and very much looking forward to it. The most difficult part was deciding which rental we liked the most, because we liked them all! Definitely looking forward to it. We have never been, but, we have both decided to make this a yearly trip for us. The overwhelming positive reviews are astounding. No one has anything bad to say about this place. It must be a real gem!

$43 for a case of beer eh? Must be some good stuff!!! I guess if you're all too worried about the price of a case of beer, then you probably don't belong on a tiny island in the Caribbean!!

Thanks again!

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
10,739 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Salt Cay, first trip, please advise

That's the local beer. All the others(green bottle-Holland; glass bottle with the lime; King of Beers, etc) is imported and costs$65-80/case. DR. JIM

Toronto
Level Contributor
282 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salt Cay, first trip, please advise

i would recommend that you ask your host to stock the fridge with liquid items, such as milk, cans of orange juice (very tasty o.j.), gallons of water (rather than individual bottles) ~ you can bring your own water bottles to fill for exploring the island, and as others have suggested, order bread from netty. we only made it into one of the stores on the island once and bought a chocolate bar...they never seemed to be open when we rode by on our bikes. netty's house is right beside the "porter's island thyme" restaurant and the store is down the way a bit. our host could only get whole milk for us, so we bought skim milk and 5% cream on provo, along with sandwich meats, apples, cheeses, crackers and a few other items at the i.g.a. we also bought a small foam cooler to carry the groceries over on the small plane. we were able to take bags of ice to put in the cooler from the hotel we stayed in overnight in provo (grace bay suites). you can save money by bringing your own soft sided cooler ~ the one we bought in provo was rather expensive at around $15.00 u.s., we left it at our rental. we brought some other items in our suitcases ~ packs of oatmeal cereal, peanut butter, tea bags. we ate dinner out most nights at one of the 3 restaurants ~ 2 nights at porter's island thyme, 2 nights at coral reef and 2 nights at pat's restaurant. 2 of the other nights we ate at our rental with leftovers from coral reef and a sunday beach barbecue. i'm sorry, i don't remember prices.

like you, we already decided, even before our first trip to salt cay, that we would be going back there, hopefully many times in the future. we loved the island, the people we met, both locals and ex-pats, the peace and quiet. enjoy your trip.

Lexington, South...
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Salt Cay, first trip, please advise

Thank you all for your very helpful information! We have read a lot about the mysterious bread and are definitely looking forward to it! (Dr. Jim, I'm sure we can handle the local beer! Even at home we usually rely on high quality, top-shelf beer like bud light, coors, miller, and whatever else is on sale! The island regular will probably be a step up for us!)

nogreatmischief sounds like you guys sure know how to pack. After reading your post we"ll definitely be throwing all kinds of goodies into the luggage (keeping in mind the 50lb weight limit!)

Does anyone have any input as to how much weight allowance Caicos Express gives you?

We are using 1 suitcase weighing under 50 pounds for both of our clothes, and we were thinking that would give us an additional 50 pounds of groceries to procure in Provo. We are staying 10 days, so accumulating enough groceries with 50 pounds to work with on one shopping trip to Provo IGA is going to be a task indeed!

Any additional advice appreciated! Thank you all!

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,896 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Salt Cay, first trip, please advise

We just pd $70 a case for Bud Light and Coors Light. Pay about $6.00 + each out at any of the restaurants. Stores DO NOT stock beer. Be sure to pre order or you likely won't be able to buy it on island as it needs to come over on the ferry which does not run daily! We should have gotten an extra case. At Dickersons store you can buy root vegetables, canned juices, peanut butter, canned veggies, frozen chicken, hot dogs, fresh eggs and the like. We brought some steaks from home and a chix parmesan.Eggbeaters (frozen) Also some cheeses, triscuits, cream cheese, lox, capers, spices,sliced meats and breakfast sausage. We should have bought more meat over as cooking out on the BBQ at night was great. Gazing at the sunsets, full moon, stars, cows and donkeys was preferable to long waits in restaurants and the bugs sometimes accompanying your meal. Plenty of all groceries avail on Provo at IGA. Produce was a big sticker shock at first. Meat prices not so bad. I had some rice and sides planning on grilling fresh fish, NOT. It was windy no fish avail.....also no conch as I had hoped to make fresh conch salad. So the moral of our visit is go with the flow and don't get your heart set on any one thing. We met some who were quite unhappy fresh limes were not avail and no pina coladas one night...this is not Provo. The .85 per lb of extra weight is a DEAL compared to the prices of food out. Think $13-$18 pp for lunch Before a beverage. Dinners are more, everything comes over by boat.

Bring along fishing gear if you want to fish. We enjoyed the Ocean Trigger fish at lower tides right in the surf. Also some fun small fish. A small spinner was fine. Had the fly rods but it was too windy to go looking for bonefish...some went clamming on the S Creek. We didn't find the spot but the last day found there is a guy who can take you if you like. The Locals handline so you won't find fishing tackle. You can go out on a SMALL boat (think 17' ft wooden boat) with Uncle Lionel if he has time to take you. Salt Cay Fishing Charters has great Intl penn tackle and is a really nice Boston Whaler. I think it was $600 for half day. Be sure to ask questions when you have them. The locals will go out of their way to be helpful if you are polite and patient. Be sure to bring some bug spray. I lit coils in the evenings and they were quite effective...other items: coffee, half n half if you use it, butter, grits for bfast, a loaf of break (you'll use it in addition to Netty's) peanut butter, bagels, bananas, salad stuff, pkgs of sugar/sweetener, beer coozies, hats, sunglasses, zi p locs, snacks, crystal light if you like it, tea bags(iced tea). Caicos Express was great to work with. We had snorkel gear, wetsuits for diving, clothes, lots of food and cosmetic items (shampoo, conditioner, sunscreens, lotion, bug sprays, etc etc) We had 2 bags at 50 lbs. One extra ckd bag at 28, a cooler with meats, cheeses etc. I packed a couple of greenmarket bags for groceries at IGA and had 2 carry ons. Extra weight charge going over was $30! One Lunch!!! ;-) Some people don't enjoy cooking on Holiday. We actually do. Light some candles, light the grill, pop open some cold ones, put on some music (ipad and small bluetooth speaker) and enjoy the simplicity! Hope this helps, sorry to ramble. Adjusting to life in the real world after Salt Cay and Grand Turk. ENJOY

Reply to: Salt Cay, first trip, please advise
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Salt Cay
More Salt Cay Topics