We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car in Turangi ? Mandatory??

Playa Hermosa...
Level Contributor
21 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Car in Turangi ? Mandatory??

<Sorry posted this in the Taupo forum by mistake. Reposting in the correct forum.>

We are staying at the Kaimanawa Lodge this new year, and they said a rental car is mandatory as there are no taxi/bus service in Turangi.

Driving on the left gives us the serious willies and we much rather take the Naked Bus service from Auckland-Turangi. Has anyone ever stayed in Turangi without a car?

We love to walk and our type of vacation is mostly sitting in restaurants or by the pool/lake. Is ignoring their advice a silly idea???

3 replies to this topic
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,316 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car in Turangi ? Mandatory??

welcome to the forum :)

I haven't stayed in Turangi, with or without a car, but your accommodation is over 1km from the town centre and so you will have a longish walk to and from the restaurants. That's fine on a lovely evening but not so good in the blazing sun or pouring rain.

I suggest you either rent a car or find accommodation centrally located. This way you can enjoy not only the restaurants but also the lake.

best of luck :)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,325 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car in Turangi ? Mandatory??

While you could, at a pinch, get away without a car, I wouldn't. It will be extremely limiting to not have transport in this area. How long will you be staying? (Don't expect too many restaurants either)

Turangi is a very small town, there will hardly be any traffic to contend with, although that it itself is sometimes a problem when you're used to driving on the other side. Without other vehicles on the road it's easy to drift onto your "right" side or when you pull out, to pull out onto the wrong side. Don't let that stop you though, it's also easier to concentrate on driving on the left side when there's not too much traffic.

There are so many places to visit in the area, walking tracks, reserves, the mountains, hot pools and and you'll not be able to walk to 98% of them.

If you collected a rental in Taupo and returned it to there then you'll not be having to drive too far and for too long. You will have to drive on SH1(State Highway 1) down the left hand side of the lake so there will be a good number of trucks and cars but nothing like you'd imagine. Lots of places to stop and have a breather along the way too.

Personally I wouldn't be staying in Turangi if I just wanted to sit in restaurants or by the poolside, it's not that type of place.

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car in Turangi ? Mandatory??

Your accommodation is about a 15 minute walk to the Turangi town centre. Completely doable if you're got carrying a pack, but a PITA if you have loads of suitcases.

Car would give you way more flexibility. Consider Zappers' suggestion - get to Taupo and rent a car there. Depending on how long you have in the region, you could also visit Rotorua and go for a drive around the mountains and lake.

Reply to: Car in Turangi ? Mandatory??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Turangi