We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best route and things to do

San Diego...
Level Contributor
462 posts
Save Topic
best route and things to do

leaving from Lake Tuapo AM June 26. and plan to be in Wellington by 12-5 PM June 27. Can you tell me what the best driving route would be to see and do the coolest stuff in about a day or day 1/2 of time. I also need a suggestion on where the best place to spend the night would be on the 26th.

Thanks

11 replies to this topic
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,190 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best route and things to do

The best O/N stop IMO would be Napier. Not a long drive from Taupo so you'd have the afternoon free to walk around the town or do a winery tour. Next day you could head to Masterton & then stop at winery or 2 around Martinborough.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
462 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: best route and things to do

We don't do wines; No desire to go to Napier. Looking for something more quirky. small towns. crafts, nature, unusual scenery,.

Sydney
Level Contributor
919 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best route and things to do

You might like the inland route, which takes in the Tongariro Plateau. Extraordinary scenery - active volcanoes, sub-alpine vegetation, rushing streams, etc. There would probably be snow at that time of the year, not sure how that would affect your driving, but I suspect it would only be toward the top of the mountains.

We stayed at Whakapapa village, not of great interest in itself, but a base for various interesting walks. The link below has some good photos to give you a feel for the scenery.

http://www.whakapapa.net.nz/

There may be some other towns at lower altitudes with more character. You could look at National Park village; or maybe Ohakune?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
5,184 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best route and things to do

Even if you don't want to see Napier, you might like to go from Taupo to Napier, and then head south via highway 50 through Ongaonga. This is a much prettier route than state highway 2 and also avoids Hastings which is probably another place you don't want to visit. Heading south, Norsewood is worth a visit with various sights relating to its Scandinavian heritage. See http://www.norsewood.co.nz/. You could stay there or keep heading south.

You've posted in the Wairarapa forum, so I'm guessing you're interested in some of the craftspeople around there. If you were thinking of staying in that area, Greytown or Martinborough are the most attractive towns. It would be a reasonably full day's drive from Taupo, taking into account stopping here and there along the way, bu do-able.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best route and things to do

Taupo to Turangi, thru the Desert Rd to Waiouru visit the Military musuem there

down thru beautiful country to Taihape - Hunterville where you turn for Fielding and Palmerston North.

Then thru the stunning Manawatu Gorge, to Woodville, and south to Masterton.

Great little towns with galleries, cafes at Carterton, Greytown, Featherston and a diversion to Martinbrough while it is wine country lot of great food and cheese to enjoy without the wine.

Across the Rimutaka to arrive in Wellington.

I would stay somewhere in the northern part of the Wairarapa - maybe Masterton

New Zealand
Level Contributor
5,184 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best route and things to do

Just a quick note - the Manawatu Gorge is currently closed, and this is likely to continue for some time. See …govt.nz/traffic/…manawatu-gorge.html for latest conditions. The Pahiatua Track is the alternative route that will take you over into the Wairarapa.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
462 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: best route and things to do

Hi great TA advisers. You have been so helpful. I have looked at this from every angle and it’s time to make my final decisions, so I can start booking lodging.

There is no perfect plan (it’s all great) and I would be happy with the way it now or with a day less or day more here and there.

I’m putting this out to all of you see if there will be any consensus on changes or any other compelling reasons to change something.

If you do advise to add or delete, please tell me why. That will really help me finalize it all.

** = I do not wish to alter

22-24 Rotoura **

25 Masterdon (Possible to add another night in Napier via L Tuapo or just go straight through to Wellington

26-27 Wellington (Possible to add an extra day)

28 Golden Bay (possible to cut this day/night out)

29-30 Abell Tas **

1-2 Nelson (possible to cut down to only one day)

3 Marlborough **

4-5 Kaikaura **

6-7 Akaroa **

8-10 Dunedin (or add one day to make it three full days more because of

late arrival on 8th)

11-13 Catlins (or cut out 1 day)

14-15 Stewart Island overnight trip

(Keep as is, make it just a day trip on SI or cut out going to island

completely) ** This is one of my hardest choices. I have read varied

reports from “no biggie” to “amazing, not to be missed even if you’re not in love with birds” I have come this far but because it a bit costly I wound only want to go if it is truly different & special from what I will be already seeing)

16-17 Te Annau **

18-19 Queenstown (possible to add an extra day) note: we are not skiers

20-21 Wanaka **

22-23 Twizel /Mt. Cook (possible to cut down to one day)

24 CCH**

PS Is there a way to spell check, bold talic or underline

New Zealand
Level Contributor
5,184 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best route and things to do

From Rotorua through to Wellington looks fine. I'm no expert on the South Island, and this is posted in the Wairarapa forum where the South Island people may miss it. Why don't you post your final itinerary in the South Island forum, where you might get better feedback, particularly on the Stewart Island question.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
462 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: best route and things to do

Are you in high favor of taking 2 days to go from Roto to Wellington?

If you did this in two full days and nights what places would you want to see most and where would you spend each night. Do you think that Lake T and on to Napier is the best choice for day 1? Do you think it better to give Wellington 3 days instead of two?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
5,184 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best route and things to do

How long you take going from Rotorua to Wellington really depends on your preferences. If you like the countryside, scenery and small towns, take 2 days. If you're more of a city person, go direct to Wellington.

Reply to: best route and things to do
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Wairarapa