We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

road closed, group needs help!

CA
Level Contributor
416 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
road closed, group needs help!

Our group was going from GC to Antigua, to Lake Atitlan and Panachal (sp). I heard the road was flooded and closed. Could it still be closed in November? If it is, is it possible to go to Tikal and then to Xela in two days? Other options if the road is closed?

We are a high school group going from GC to Xela. Thanks.

8 replies to this topic
Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: road closed, group needs help!

Certainly the inter-American hwy to Xela should be open by then, if it's not already.

CA
Level Contributor
416 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: road closed, group needs help!

Will the road to Lake Atitlan be open? If not, is it possible to go from GC to Tikal and then Xela in two days? Thoughts? Thanks!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,837 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: road closed, group needs help!

Hello again -

I think you'll be able to get where you need to go by then.

In theory you could visit Tikal in a day and head to Xela the next day but it doesn't sound like much fun to me, even if you can afford flights. If you can't afford flights, you could take a night bus (~9-10 hours) to Flores and shuttle to Tikal (~1 hour) for a quick visit, then shuttle back to Flores and take a night bus to GC, then head to Xela in the morning. For me, just a few hours to visit Tikal during the heat of the day when all the day trippers for GC and Belize are there would be far less than ideal but some would say it would be worth it.

I think you already know that Lake Atitlán is my favorite place on earth aside from my own home. It is a shame to miss Tikal, though - better start planning your next trip now! ;-)

CA
Level Contributor
416 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: road closed, group needs help!

Thanks hopefulist. Is there any other way up to the lake if the road is shut down? Are they good at reopening the road? Thanks.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,837 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: road closed, group needs help!

Hopefully things will have dried out by then. There are alternative routes to the lake that opened a few days ago. I think you need to just assume that will work but check in the week before your trip to be sure things are a go; you can make alternate plans then if you need to, but I doubt that will be the case. Happy trails!

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: road closed, group needs help!

The road from Solola to Pana is often closed by slides, but the closures don't usually last too long, and are not too common outside of rainy season. There are other ways of getting to the lake if necessary.

Panajachel...
Level Contributor
721 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: road closed, group needs help!

The alternate route to the main highway from Pana was only closed for a very short time. Buses, picops, delivery trucks and shuttles have been continuing to travel back and forth from Pana to the capital. I prefer to go by the road to Las Trampas anyway - it is shorter and faster with fantastic views. Pana has been completely open for business throughout the recent rain events. Two huge pullman buses arrived with a group yesterday and plenty of tourists are roaming the streets.

The weather has been sunny and cool for the last few days.

The route from Pana to Solola has always been iffy with frequent slides and washouts. There is no telling how long it will be under repair. It is a spectacular road with a dramatic waterfall and the newspapers love to make a big deal of it whenever there is a new derrumbe. Although there has been significant damage to property, problems in Pana are more news than reality. There are other routes to Pana besides the publicity-plauged one through Solola.

CA
Level Contributor
416 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: road closed, group needs help!

Thank you all for your information and help!

Reply to: road closed, group needs help!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Western Highlands