We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants

Sacramento
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
Restaurants

I posted this in Nuevo Vallarta and PV forums in case you read already.

I Just got back from Riu Vallarta. So fun. We were sitting at the bar and I ordered an Espresso. This charming man at the bar told me all about coffee in Italy. He should know, he owned a coffee shop in his life time. We got into a conversation about coffee and other things. He had his equally charming niece with him. In conversation he said his son was a chef at a new Italian restaurant in Bucerias a few miles up the beach. It was my sisters Birthday and she loves Italian food so that night we decided to try it. It was called adriatico. I took a printed menu home with me and it was all lower case. I didn't see a web site though.

WOW! I must say that was the best food I have had in a long time. I couldn't get over how fresh and amazingly prepared the sea food was. I love sea food but am very picky about it. The chef must be even more picky than I. I was thinking it was crazy we were in Mexico and going to eat Italian, but there were so many sea food options, pasta, steak. Many different tastes could be happy. I wish I could go eat there tonight! It was so remarkable, I feel I must write about it. Especially since I got so many great tips off trip advisor that helped make my trip extra nice.

The restaurant is beautiful and open in the back with an outside bar. If it were near where I live, I would have a party there. The chef came out...the son of Mossimo, the charming man we had met earlier. He was also charming, gorgeous eyes and all about the food he was about to prepare. My sister had ordered the pan seared yellow tuna. The chef came back out and said he would like to grill it if that was OK. It was spectacular! It was huge and had...as my ten year old would say...a flavor explosion in your mouth. It had a slight vinegar taste with who knows what amazing combination of fresh seasonings. I had asked what Mossimo eats there, since he knew his stuff about coffee and was from Italy, I figured he would know what to order from his own son. I got the grilled jumbo shrimps from Mazatlan. Huge, SO FRESH and another fabulous seasoning. We had ordered the Bruschetta and Antipasto as appetizers. The Bruschetta was so good with very fresh tomatoes...making me wonder if they grew them in a garden themselves? it had onion, lots of delicious chopped garlic so if you get it, make sure you bring a tooth brush, but worth having bad breath to enjoy it. Even though we were stuffed and my sister ate about half of her huge piece of fish, I just could not let it go. I had to finish it.

To my delight, Mossimo came out and said hello. He sat with us and drank a glass of dry, white Italian wine. Perfect ending to a great meal. Wine and interesting conversation. They came out with a piece of Chocolate cake with strawberries and a candle and sang Happy Birthday to my sister. I felt like we were celebrating with family and we had not met them until that very day. Ilde, his niece is sooooo sweet. I am not sure her role in the restaurant, I know she is involved, but she made us feel very welcome and was also a joy.

I must comment on the excellent service as well. Such a nice wait staff that went out of their way to make sure we were happy.

They called us a cab when asked and the drive was short. It was a cute town at night that I would have liked to see during the day...but to busy laying on the beach being lazy.

I just found out about the orphanage in Bucerias and I am a Pediatric RN. I am half thinking of another trip to take my husband and children to the orphanage (except I am a save the world kind of girl so I may have a hard time) I'll get over it and I think it would be good for my children to appreciate the life and opertunities they have and how important it is to help others. My daughter is taking Spanish in school so I know she would love to go to Mexico and I MUST eat sea food made by my new favorite chef at least once more in my lifetime.

If anyone else goes there on their trip, please send me a note and tell me about it so I can live vicariously through you.

Enjoy!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
583 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants

I think this is Mezzo Giorno you are talking about? We had dinner there earlier this season and it was excellent.

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,549 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants

The restaurant sounds like a great find -- enjoyed your review!! It's always fun to find a place the way you did, and then have the experience turn out so well.

Wish it was not located so far away from Vallarta!!

Hope you get back again some time - and when you do, do check out Bucerias in the daylight - it's a great little town to see and explore!!

Cheers!!

United States
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants

This is not Mezzagiorno that she is referring to, it is a new restaurant (Adriatico) directly across the street from Mark's. The food is good and the jazz group that played there all winter was wonderful. Nice addition to the Bucerias restaurant scene.

Sacramento
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants

I just found out Ilde, the fabulous, gracious and adorable niece of Mossimo is the manager of Adriatico(they have all letters in lower case) I know that because she emailed me. How sweet is that? I gave them my contact info because we had such a great time with them. I did see her walking around to all the tables and making sure everyone was happy, including us, but in my first post I said I didn't know what her role was in the restaurant business.

Dallas
Level Contributor
228 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants

Had a great dinner there last night with good service.

A shame that the bill was "pumped-up" and I will not go back because of it.

California
Level Contributor
322 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants

After reading this thread, I'm confused on the name of this restaurant?? Anyone?

Dallas
Level Contributor
228 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants

Adriatico across from Mark's.

Naperville, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
10,160 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants

If you plan to visit the orphanage, Manos de Amor (Hands of Love), I remember hearing that it would be best to make an appointment rather than dropping in. Most of the children there are considered "social orphans". Most have parents, but they are unable or unwilling to care for the kids.

Contact Valiene at 329-298-1013 or e-mail her at casavaliene@gmail.com.

California
Level Contributor
322 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants

Matt - since everyone seems to be 'gushing' over this place (certainly the OP), what's wrong with it?

I'm not familiar with the 'the bill was pump-up'.... same as 'not a good value'? Just wondering??

thanks.. I plan to be in the area in March & I'm looking for restaurants.

United States
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants

Also, curious what "bill was pumped up" means. We have eaten there and the food is quite good, but it is not one of the more reasonable places to eat in town, thought the wine was specifically a bit overpriced. So if you are looking for a lower cost restaurant this wouldn't be a good choice.

Get answers to your questions about Bucerias